Utah Jazz: Injury-riddled team tries to recover to face Raptors
NEW YORK — The Utah Jazz had all 14 players with them when they practiced this morning at the ritzy New York Athletic Club across the street from Central Park.
But there was plenty of elbow room on the practice court at the famous club.
Because of injuries, only eight players fully participated in the workout a day after the team was "embarrassed" — to use a word repeated by multiple Jazz personnel — during a 131-109 rout by the New York Knicks.
The sidelined players included Paul Millsap (knee), Andrei Kirilenko (back), Ronnie Price (toe), Francisco Elson (ankle and knee), Kyrylo Fesenko (back) and Mehmet Okur (back).
Price, Elson, Fesenko and Okur have already been ruled out for the Jazz's game Wednesday night in Toronto, while Kirilenko is considered doubtful to play by the team's medical staff.
Millsap, who said he probably should've sat Monday's game out due to his painful left patellar tendinitis, will be a game-time decision against the Raptors.
The injury situation couldn't come at a worse time for the Jazz, who fell to 33-31 and find themselves 2.5 games out of a playoff spot while going the wrong direction.
Coach Tyrone Corbin had the injury-plagued team watch film for part of today's practice, and he went through offensive plays to continue to immerse newcomers Devin Harris and Derrick Favors into the system.
Corbin was still disappointed about Utah's defensive performance vs. the Knicks, who scored 40 points in the first quarter and 36 in the third.
About the effort overall, he said "it wasn't there."
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 23
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 13