Patrick Semansky, Associated Press
NEW ORLEANS — With ideal weather as a backdrop, crowds poured onto the streets in the traditional warm-up for Carnival's big show on Mardi Gras.
Sunday featured celebrity-laden parades — including CNN's Anderson Cooper, actress Kelly Ripa, the rock band Train and actor Andy Garcia. Also, of course, was the typical drunken revelry of the French Quarter where tourists, locals and swarms of spring breakers rubbed shoulders.
The pre-Lenten festivities on Saturday were washed out by heavy downpours that canceled parades and forced the superkrewe of Endymion, a crowd favorite, to be pushed back until Sunday.
The line of thunderstorms that crossed Louisiana spawned a tornado that killed a mother shielding her child from the fierce winds in Rayne, La.
- Security breached: Intruder gets into White...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- 'The Voice' returns Monday with Pharrell,...
- Tense hunt in trooper ambush case hits 8 days
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video sentenced
- Second man arrested trying to enter White...
- Actress detained by police refuses to apologize
- After vote to stay in UK, Scots must heal divide
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 15
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- How much America wants to be taxed 7
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at... 6
- New Jersey loses 4th casino as Trump... 5
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5