High school basketball: Piute ends season with three straight wins
RICHFIELD — As hard as it is to be satisfied with sixth place, it's also hard for Steve Hoagland not to be proud of how Piute fought back after losing in the first round of the 1A State Tournament on Wednesday.
"As a coach it's tough to be satisfied when you know how much better they can be," said Hoagland after his team's 62-58 win over Green River Saturday at the Sevier Valley Center. "I'm always telling them to get better, get better. They joke with me about getting better. But I want them to push themselves to get better."
Part of improving is overcoming adversity.
The T-birds did just that when they overcame the disappointment of losing on the first day of play in Richfield to win three tough games in a row to end their season.
The T-birds were led by the inspiring offensive effort of Kelton Price. He scored a team-high 28 points, including six 3-pointers. He also had four rebounds, three assists and two steals.
"I can't say enough about Kelton Price," said Hoagland of the senior. "He's just a hard-working kid, academic all-state, comes to practice and works hard every day."
Hoagland credits his players with the success this season.
"We've got great kids," he said. "They work hard, listen and they have good camaraderie."
He said it's been a joy to coach the group.
"It's a great team, great season and most importantly, they're great people," he said.
Dylan Cunningham also played a great game with 11 points and three assists.
The loss means eighth place for the Pirates.
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Doug Robinson: What might have been for the...
- Austin Collie signs with CFL's BC Lions,...
- BYU basketball: Cougars shake up starting...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 68
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 61
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 35