High school basketball: Piute ends season with three straight wins
RICHFIELD — As hard as it is to be satisfied with sixth place, it's also hard for Steve Hoagland not to be proud of how Piute fought back after losing in the first round of the 1A State Tournament on Wednesday.
"As a coach it's tough to be satisfied when you know how much better they can be," said Hoagland after his team's 62-58 win over Green River Saturday at the Sevier Valley Center. "I'm always telling them to get better, get better. They joke with me about getting better. But I want them to push themselves to get better."
Part of improving is overcoming adversity.
The T-birds did just that when they overcame the disappointment of losing on the first day of play in Richfield to win three tough games in a row to end their season.
The T-birds were led by the inspiring offensive effort of Kelton Price. He scored a team-high 28 points, including six 3-pointers. He also had four rebounds, three assists and two steals.
"I can't say enough about Kelton Price," said Hoagland of the senior. "He's just a hard-working kid, academic all-state, comes to practice and works hard every day."
Hoagland credits his players with the success this season.
"We've got great kids," he said. "They work hard, listen and they have good camaraderie."
He said it's been a joy to coach the group.
"It's a great team, great season and most importantly, they're great people," he said.
Dylan Cunningham also played a great game with 11 points and three assists.
The loss means eighth place for the Pirates.
- Will BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson play vs....
- Ranking the best season by a quarterback in...
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks about...
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on the...
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks off...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- College football predictions: How will... 137
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 62
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 48
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41
- True freshman Brad Kaaya beats out... 36