Mark Damon, Associated Press
LAS VEGAS — Mychel Thompson scored 26 points and Lorne Jackson added 23 as No. 6 seed Pepperdine held on for an 84-81 victory Friday night over No. 7 seed San Diego in the first round of the West Coast Conference tournament.
The Waves (12-20) face No. 3 seed San Francisco (16-13) in a quarterfinal matchup Saturday night.
Chris Gabriel led San Diego (6-24) with 18 points.
Pepperdine led by as many as 14 points in the second half, but the Toreros went on a 24-12 run, capped by three consecutive 3-pointers to pull within 83-81 with 5.9 seconds left.
They then fouled Thompson, who made 1 of 2 free throws.
A desperation 60-foot shot by Jordan Mackie hit the backboard just right of the rim.
Pepperdine won the game at the line, making 36 of 44 free throws, while San Diego hit 17 of 27.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 122
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 26
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21