Mark Damon, Associated Press
LAS VEGAS — Mychel Thompson scored 26 points and Lorne Jackson added 23 as No. 6 seed Pepperdine held on for an 84-81 victory Friday night over No. 7 seed San Diego in the first round of the West Coast Conference tournament.
The Waves (12-20) face No. 3 seed San Francisco (16-13) in a quarterfinal matchup Saturday night.
Chris Gabriel led San Diego (6-24) with 18 points.
Pepperdine led by as many as 14 points in the second half, but the Toreros went on a 24-12 run, capped by three consecutive 3-pointers to pull within 83-81 with 5.9 seconds left.
They then fouled Thompson, who made 1 of 2 free throws.
A desperation 60-foot shot by Jordan Mackie hit the backboard just right of the rim.
Pepperdine won the game at the line, making 36 of 44 free throws, while San Diego hit 17 of 27.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25