SANDY — The BYU and Utah rugby teams will kick off the inaugural College Premier League season today at 4 p.m. at Rio Tinto Stadium.
Thus far in 2011, both Utah and BYU have posted strong preseasons, with Utah boasting big wins over UC Santa Barbrara (57-5), Oregon (60-0) and two wins over CPL foes in Penn State (46-12) and Delaware (45-0). The Utes are currently 6-1 with their lone loss coming in an abbreviated game against Cal-Berkeley.
BYU is undefeated on the young 2011 season with a 5-0 record. The Cougars have beaten four fellow CPL foes by an average score of 77-2 (Penn State, Cal Poly SLO, Claremont, SDSU).
The BYU-Utah game will be preceded by two separate curtain-raisers, as Highland takes on Utah Valley at 2 p.m. and Davis County takes on Lone Peak at noon.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 137
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 17
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15