PROVO This is a game the Cougars sorely needed.
With Charles Abouo, Jackson Emery and Kyle Collinsworth providing punch after punch to back up Jimmer Fredette's 38-point effort, BYU pulled ahead and ran past the Cowboys, 102-78, in the fashion Dave Rose's team is used to enjoying.
Fredette got in the heads of Wyoming's players at about the 12-minute mark. He drove and made shots and drew fouls. In that stretch, Francisco Cruze, who has 18 points, protested to the officials and drew a technical. Fredette made both and then set up for the and one and made it for his 32nd point of the game with 10 minutes to play.
The Cowboys tried a double team on the next possession and Fredette passed off to Abouo for a layin and 74-61 lead with 9:14 to play. On the next possession, Emery hit a trey.
Earlier in the second half, Fredette pulled up for a quick 3-point shot and make to put the Cougars up 63-49 with just over 13 minutes to play. It was one of those shots BYU fans came to see. Moments before, he drove the lane and switched mid-air from a jump shot to an underhand scoop shot make.
His drive and layin, which drew a foul with 12:26 to play, drew chants of "You got Jimmered" from the student section.
Follow the game online with Dick Harmon:
Cougars on the air
Wyoming (10-19, 3-12) at No. 3 BYU (27-3, 13-2)
Saturday, 1:30 p.m. MT, The Marriott Center
TV: The Mtn.
Radio: KSL 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
Brigham Young played perhaps its worst game of the season in the wake of losing center Brandon Davies for the season and attempts to regain its stride when it hosts Wyoming in Saturday's regular-season finale. The No. 3 Cougars were routed 82-64 at home by New Mexico on Wednesday one day after Davies was suspended for the season for violating the school's honor code. The blowout loss ended BYU's quest for a No. 1 seed in the upcoming NCAA tournament, but the Cougars can clinch the Mountain West Conference's regular-season title by beating the Cowboys.
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 71
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 27
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 26
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14