The dismissal of Brandon Davies from BYU's basketball team continues to ripple through the sports world, but because of the private school's position as a religious institution, the ripples are touching on faith and other religions as BYU upholds its standard.
The Huffington Post's Rabbi Joshua Hess likened the discipline the faiths of Judaism and Mormonism share as he reflected on Brandon Davies' situation at BYU.
Hess writes about the spiritual implications this time will have for Davies, a time to grow and learn about compassion and repentance.
Otherwise, the basketball team felt the impact last night with the loss to the New Mexico Lobos.
ESPN's power rankings have already noticed, dropping BYU three spots to No. 10, saying it was the "first total meltdown of the season," and that the "loss looms large."
BYU had been No. 7 in that poll before beating San Diego State, but now the Aztecs remain ahead at No. 7.
Yahoo!'s Jeff Eisenberg offers thoughts on roster moves in order to remain competitive for the remainder of the season, but that was before Wednesday's debacle. Eisenberg also takes a brief look at other athletes who have been dismissed at the school.
Here are results of a KSL/Deseret News poll of 314 people conducted Thursday evening with an error of +/- 5.7 percent. One question focused on Davies.
5. On another subject, Brigham Young University basketball player Brandon Davies was suspended from the team this week after he violated the honor code. Do you think BYU did the right thing in suspending Davies at this time in the season?
Probably not 2%
Definitely not 6%
- Will BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson play vs....
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks about...
- Ranking the best season by a quarterback in...
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on the...
- The good, the bad and the most likely:...
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks off...
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in...
- College football predictions: How will... 136
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 62
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 56
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 46
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 39
- True freshman Brad Kaaya beats out... 36