The dismissal of Brandon Davies from BYU's basketball team continues to ripple through the sports world, but because of the private school's position as a religious institution, the ripples are touching on faith and other religions as BYU upholds its standard.
The Huffington Post's Rabbi Joshua Hess likened the discipline the faiths of Judaism and Mormonism share as he reflected on Brandon Davies' situation at BYU.
Hess writes about the spiritual implications this time will have for Davies, a time to grow and learn about compassion and repentance.
Otherwise, the basketball team felt the impact last night with the loss to the New Mexico Lobos.
ESPN's power rankings have already noticed, dropping BYU three spots to No. 10, saying it was the "first total meltdown of the season," and that the "loss looms large."
BYU had been No. 7 in that poll before beating San Diego State, but now the Aztecs remain ahead at No. 7.
Yahoo!'s Jeff Eisenberg offers thoughts on roster moves in order to remain competitive for the remainder of the season, but that was before Wednesday's debacle. Eisenberg also takes a brief look at other athletes who have been dismissed at the school.
Here are results of a KSL/Deseret News poll of 314 people conducted Thursday evening with an error of +/- 5.7 percent. One question focused on Davies.
5. On another subject, Brigham Young University basketball player Brandon Davies was suspended from the team this week after he violated the honor code. Do you think BYU did the right thing in suspending Davies at this time in the season?
Probably not 2%
Definitely not 6%
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- WCC Championship game tale of the tape, BYU...
- San Francisco coach apologizes for postgame...
- BYU football: Bronson Kaufusi excited about...
- BYU basketball: Tyler Haws passes Russell...
- BYU report card vs. San Francisco: Cougars...
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 83
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- San Francisco coach apologizes for... 32
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 31
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24