High school basketball: Wasatch Academy wallops Milford
RICHFIELD — Wasatch Academy is known for its academic programs.
This year's boys basketball team is putting the Mt. Pleasant boarding school's athletic programs on the map.
The top-ranked Wasatch Academy Tigers earned another impressive win in the second round of the 1A state boys basketball tournament Thursday at the Sevier Valley Center, where they defeated Milford 73-36.
Led by Jarryn Skeete, who scored 22 points, the Tigers dominated offensively. Skeete, from Ontario, Canada, was 5-of-10 from the 3-point line. He also grabbed five rebounds and had three assists and three steals.
Wasatch Academy scored 16 points in the first four minutes of the quarter while limiting Milford to a single point. After a Milford timeout, however, Wasatch Academy only scored two more points in the quarter.
"We just stopped attacking," said head coach Geno Morgan. "We were satisfied with passing around the perimeter."
Milford also put a man on Skeete while playing zone on the rest of the team. After halftime, Wasatch Academy resumed putting on a show for the fans who traveled to Richfield to see the afternoon game.
The Milford Tigers were led by Tyler Denny, who scored 10 points, earned six rebounds and dished three assists. Dylan Jones added nine points in the loss that sends Milford to the consolation bracket.
Wasatch Academy hadn't won an opening-round tournament game until this season. But Morgan wasn't getting too comfortable after consecutive, lopsided victories.
"We're gelling at the right time," he said. "We have to win four games in a row here. And that's not an easy feat."
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke comes off...
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight road...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 88
- Memphis to punish 12 players for role... 78
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 54
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 36
- Doug Robinson: NFL overtime rules need... 27