High school basketball: Wasatch Academy wallops Milford
RICHFIELD — Wasatch Academy is known for its academic programs.
This year's boys basketball team is putting the Mt. Pleasant boarding school's athletic programs on the map.
The top-ranked Wasatch Academy Tigers earned another impressive win in the second round of the 1A state boys basketball tournament Thursday at the Sevier Valley Center, where they defeated Milford 73-36.
Led by Jarryn Skeete, who scored 22 points, the Tigers dominated offensively. Skeete, from Ontario, Canada, was 5-of-10 from the 3-point line. He also grabbed five rebounds and had three assists and three steals.
Wasatch Academy scored 16 points in the first four minutes of the quarter while limiting Milford to a single point. After a Milford timeout, however, Wasatch Academy only scored two more points in the quarter.
"We just stopped attacking," said head coach Geno Morgan. "We were satisfied with passing around the perimeter."
Milford also put a man on Skeete while playing zone on the rest of the team. After halftime, Wasatch Academy resumed putting on a show for the fans who traveled to Richfield to see the afternoon game.
The Milford Tigers were led by Tyler Denny, who scored 10 points, earned six rebounds and dished three assists. Dylan Jones added nine points in the loss that sends Milford to the consolation bracket.
Wasatch Academy hadn't won an opening-round tournament game until this season. But Morgan wasn't getting too comfortable after consecutive, lopsided victories.
"We're gelling at the right time," he said. "We have to win four games in a row here. And that's not an easy feat."
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU Cougars video: Jeff Call tells us what to...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37