Mark Humphrey, File, Associated Press
LOS ANGELES — A boxing great, a model who survived an Indian Ocean tsunami and a grown-up "Karate Kid" will be hoofing it on the 12th season of "Dancing with the Stars."
Welterweight champ Sugar Ray Leonard, model Petra Nemcova and Ralph Macchio of the hit 1984 karate movie will be among 11 celebrity contestants when the ABC show returns March 21.
The cast was announced Monday by "Dancing" hosts Tom Bergeron and Brooke Burke in segments that aired during an episode of ABC's "The Bachelor."
"Forget the rumors. The moment of truth has arrived!" Bergeron exclaimed.
Also hitting the dance floor will be Kirstie Alley; Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward; professional wrestler Chris Jericho; "Loveline" radio show co-host Mike Catherwood; onetime rap prodigy Romeo (former Lil' Romeo); Chelsea Kane of Disney Channel's "Jonas"; talk show host Wendy Williams and reality star Kendra Wilkinson.
Alley suggested the contestants' focus would be to "try not to fall on our butts the first week out. That's what I'm going for."
Leonard had a holistic description of his competitive approach.
"I think it's all psychological. I think it's spiritual," he said. "I think it's all the mental preparation."
Quipped Bergeron: "Have you ever watched the show?"
The star-professional dancer pairings will be announced Wednesday.
Last season's champ was "Dirty Dancing" actress Jennifer Grey, who was paired with dancer Derek Hough.
The show also featured former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's daughter, Bristol, as a contestant and became something of a political lightning rod because of the family connection.
ABC is owned by The Walt Disney Co.
- RSL's Kyle Beckerman named to USMNT's Copa...
- Exaggerator finally beats Nyquist, wins...
- DeRozan, Raptors end Cavaliers' streak with...
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- 4A baseball tournament live streams:...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 104
- Softball: Utah advances to regional... 35
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 31
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 25
- Utah softball beats Kentucky, 5-3, to... 16
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 16
- Pac-12 to lower number of late Saturday... 13