University of Utah
SALT LAKE CITY — Today marks the 161st birthday of the University of Utah. Few institutions in our state have as rich a history — and photographic history — as the University of Utah.
Before there was a state, and before there was even the territory; it was created by the General Assembly of the provisional government of the State of Deseret on February 28, 1850. It was called the University of Deseret, until 1892 when its name was changed to the University of Utah.
From a handful of students in 1850 to today's 30,000 plus students and its almost 17,000 academic and administrative staff, the U provides a well rounded education for its students and a great contribution to the community and the world.
The university has had great leaders and instructors such as: Henry Eyring, Joseph Merrill, Ivan Sutherland, Willem Johan Kolff, Stan Pulst, Russell M. Nelson, Maud Babcock, Jesse D. Jennings and Noble Prize-winner Mario Capecchi.
LDS Church presidents who attended included President David O. McKay, President George A. Smith, President Gordon B. Hinckley and President Thomas S. Monson.
Other individuals who have distinguished themselves who have attended the University included: Jake Garn, Robert Bennett, Frank Moss, LeConte Stewart, Wallace Stegner, Terry Tempest Williams, Alan Ashton, Alan Kay, David Evans, John Warnock, William DeVries Robert Jarvik, Keene Curtis, Mills Lane, Gordon Gee, Lily Eskelsen, J. Willard Marriott, Nolan Bushnell, Edwin Catmul, Dave Checketts, Tom Chambers, Jerry Chambers, Keith Van Horn, Alex Smith, Mike Newlin, Arnie Ferrin and Peter Breinholt — and that is to name but a few.
Roy Webb of the Marriott Library photographic unit within Special Collections shared with the Deseret News a number of photographs that chronicle the history of the University as well as some historic images from their collections.
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed; police...
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch
- Salt Lake's record-setting convention kicks...
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Appeals judges question right to sue in...
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- Salt Lake Marathon changes owners, course and...
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 106
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 88
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 73
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 25
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24