VICTORIA, British Columbia — The Victoria Salmon Kings slipped past the Utah Grizzlies 6-5 in a shootout Saturday night at Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre, as the Grizzlies collect a standings point for their efforts.
Utah (28-22-4-2), who entered the night on a five-game losing streak, battled back from a 5-3 third-period deficit and then killed four-straight minutes shorthanded as the game went into overtime. Utah also fought back from 2-1 and 3-2 deficits after taking a 1-0 first period lead.
BYU product Tamio Stehrenberger stood on his head in the contest, as he faced 44 shots through overtime. The Grizzlies used special teams to stay in the game, by going three-for-five on the power-play and five-for-six on the penalty-kill.
The Salmon Kings broke a 3-3 tie with under 30 seconds left in the second period off of a face-off win and took a 5-3 lead 6:29 into the third period before Utah started to battle back. Kevin Deeth took a centering pass setup by Hugo Carpentier and Tom May to make it 5-4 at 9:21 of the period.
Matt Sorteberg whipped home Utah's third power-play goal of the night to tie with 3:01 left in regulation. Tom May and Brock Wilson picked up the assists.
Ryley Grantham (one goal) and Josh Meyers (one assist) picked up their first points in a Utah uniform after joining the team from the Calgary Flames AHL affiliate in Abbotsford for the weekend series.
Hugo Carpentier, who was a game-time decision, after leaving Friday's game injured, gave Utah their only lead of the night 5:19 into the first period on the power-play and had two points in the game.
Victoria native Tim Crowder tied the contest at two in his homecoming late in the first period.
The Grizzlies return home Friday and Saturday to host Ontario at 7:05 p.m. each evening in the Maverik Center.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- From dating advice to awkward returns: 10 of...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- ESPN highlights BYU basketball's roster...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 106
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 52
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 41
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27