VICTORIA, British Columbia — The Victoria Salmon Kings slipped past the Utah Grizzlies 6-5 in a shootout Saturday night at Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre, as the Grizzlies collect a standings point for their efforts.
Utah (28-22-4-2), who entered the night on a five-game losing streak, battled back from a 5-3 third-period deficit and then killed four-straight minutes shorthanded as the game went into overtime. Utah also fought back from 2-1 and 3-2 deficits after taking a 1-0 first period lead.
BYU product Tamio Stehrenberger stood on his head in the contest, as he faced 44 shots through overtime. The Grizzlies used special teams to stay in the game, by going three-for-five on the power-play and five-for-six on the penalty-kill.
The Salmon Kings broke a 3-3 tie with under 30 seconds left in the second period off of a face-off win and took a 5-3 lead 6:29 into the third period before Utah started to battle back. Kevin Deeth took a centering pass setup by Hugo Carpentier and Tom May to make it 5-4 at 9:21 of the period.
Matt Sorteberg whipped home Utah's third power-play goal of the night to tie with 3:01 left in regulation. Tom May and Brock Wilson picked up the assists.
Ryley Grantham (one goal) and Josh Meyers (one assist) picked up their first points in a Utah uniform after joining the team from the Calgary Flames AHL affiliate in Abbotsford for the weekend series.
Hugo Carpentier, who was a game-time decision, after leaving Friday's game injured, gave Utah their only lead of the night 5:19 into the first period on the power-play and had two points in the game.
Victoria native Tim Crowder tied the contest at two in his homecoming late in the first period.
The Grizzlies return home Friday and Saturday to host Ontario at 7:05 p.m. each evening in the Maverik Center.
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Kevin Durant leads US to second exhibition...
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 56
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 54
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 44
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 16