VICTORIA, British Columbia — The Victoria Salmon Kings slipped past the Utah Grizzlies 6-5 in a shootout Saturday night at Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre, as the Grizzlies collect a standings point for their efforts.
Utah (28-22-4-2), who entered the night on a five-game losing streak, battled back from a 5-3 third-period deficit and then killed four-straight minutes shorthanded as the game went into overtime. Utah also fought back from 2-1 and 3-2 deficits after taking a 1-0 first period lead.
BYU product Tamio Stehrenberger stood on his head in the contest, as he faced 44 shots through overtime. The Grizzlies used special teams to stay in the game, by going three-for-five on the power-play and five-for-six on the penalty-kill.
The Salmon Kings broke a 3-3 tie with under 30 seconds left in the second period off of a face-off win and took a 5-3 lead 6:29 into the third period before Utah started to battle back. Kevin Deeth took a centering pass setup by Hugo Carpentier and Tom May to make it 5-4 at 9:21 of the period.
Matt Sorteberg whipped home Utah's third power-play goal of the night to tie with 3:01 left in regulation. Tom May and Brock Wilson picked up the assists.
Ryley Grantham (one goal) and Josh Meyers (one assist) picked up their first points in a Utah uniform after joining the team from the Calgary Flames AHL affiliate in Abbotsford for the weekend series.
Hugo Carpentier, who was a game-time decision, after leaving Friday's game injured, gave Utah their only lead of the night 5:19 into the first period on the power-play and had two points in the game.
Victoria native Tim Crowder tied the contest at two in his homecoming late in the first period.
The Grizzlies return home Friday and Saturday to host Ontario at 7:05 p.m. each evening in the Maverik Center.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 75
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 64
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27