Utah Jazz: Deron Williams won't talk about future plans until 2012
"After talking to Billy and coach Johnson and seeing the direction they want to go in, and vision they have for this organization," he said, "I'm excited about the possibility of competing for a championship in a couple of years."
Williams said making the playoffs this season might be a reach, but the team will have a fresh start next season.
One issue that miffed Williams was the implication that he forced Jazz coach Jerry Sloan to resign. Though the 26-year-old didn't deny that he and Sloan "bumped heads" at times.
"I don't think, in any way shape or form, that I led him out of Utah or urged him out," Williams said. "I never talked to management or told them it was 'him or me' or any case like that."
Johnson also was irked by questions about Williams' past, saying this trade was a celebration for the Nets.
"This is about disassembling a team that won 12 games (2009-10) and assembling a team that, in the future, can compete for a championship. And Deron is going to be a major part of that," Johnson said in a scolding tone. "Whatever his relationship with coach Sloan, that will not have any affect on our relationship. I have never had a point guard with Deron's talent level and skill level. I've coached some terrific guys, but with the package he brings to the table, we're really excited."
The big question, though, remains: Can the Nets' keep him after next season?
The third overall pick in 2005 out of Illinois, Williams averaged 17.3 points, 9.1 assists and 3.2 rebounds in the regular season for the Jazz, and 21.1 points, 9.6 assists and 1.2 steals in the postseason.
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 123
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 68
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 62
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 53
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 29