Utah Jazz: Deron Williams won't talk about future plans until 2012
"After talking to Billy and coach Johnson and seeing the direction they want to go in, and vision they have for this organization," he said, "I'm excited about the possibility of competing for a championship in a couple of years."
Williams said making the playoffs this season might be a reach, but the team will have a fresh start next season.
One issue that miffed Williams was the implication that he forced Jazz coach Jerry Sloan to resign. Though the 26-year-old didn't deny that he and Sloan "bumped heads" at times.
"I don't think, in any way shape or form, that I led him out of Utah or urged him out," Williams said. "I never talked to management or told them it was 'him or me' or any case like that."
Johnson also was irked by questions about Williams' past, saying this trade was a celebration for the Nets.
"This is about disassembling a team that won 12 games (2009-10) and assembling a team that, in the future, can compete for a championship. And Deron is going to be a major part of that," Johnson said in a scolding tone. "Whatever his relationship with coach Sloan, that will not have any affect on our relationship. I have never had a point guard with Deron's talent level and skill level. I've coached some terrific guys, but with the package he brings to the table, we're really excited."
The big question, though, remains: Can the Nets' keep him after next season?
The third overall pick in 2005 out of Illinois, Williams averaged 17.3 points, 9.1 assists and 3.2 rebounds in the regular season for the Jazz, and 21.1 points, 9.6 assists and 1.2 steals in the postseason.
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Morning links: National college... 96
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 96
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 80
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 57
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 30
- 9 observations from the release of Utah... 14