CEDAR CITY — Kyle Davis scored 18 points and had game highs of eight rebounds and five assists to lead Southern Utah to an 84-66 victory over IPFW on Thursday night.
Ray Jones scored 16 points, Jackson Stevenett 15 and Matt Massey 10 for the Thunderbirds (11-17, 7-10 Summit League), who won their third straight game.
Southern Utah shot 60 percent (30 of 50) while limiting IPFW to 38.6 percent (22 of 57).
"I am really proud of our effort tonight," head coach Roger Reid said. "We came out with a great attitude and did a great job of running the floor and executing on both ends to get a good team win. Kyle and Jackson played very well. They gave us some confidence early and everybody played well off of them. I really like how were are playing right now as we close in on the conference tournament."
Zach Plackemeier drained four 3-pointers to account for his 12 points, which led the Mastodons (17-11, 10-7). Frank Gaines, Ben Botts and Trey McCorkle added 10 points apiece.
The Thunderbirds bolted to an 8-0 lead and were never threatened. They led 43-25 at intermission, and their advantage never dropped below 14 in the second half. The lead crested at 78-52 on Massey's 3-pointer with 4:47 left.
SUU closes out the regular season hosting first-place Oakland University at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday.
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33