CEDAR CITY — Kyle Davis scored 18 points and had game highs of eight rebounds and five assists to lead Southern Utah to an 84-66 victory over IPFW on Thursday night.
Ray Jones scored 16 points, Jackson Stevenett 15 and Matt Massey 10 for the Thunderbirds (11-17, 7-10 Summit League), who won their third straight game.
Southern Utah shot 60 percent (30 of 50) while limiting IPFW to 38.6 percent (22 of 57).
"I am really proud of our effort tonight," head coach Roger Reid said. "We came out with a great attitude and did a great job of running the floor and executing on both ends to get a good team win. Kyle and Jackson played very well. They gave us some confidence early and everybody played well off of them. I really like how were are playing right now as we close in on the conference tournament."
Zach Plackemeier drained four 3-pointers to account for his 12 points, which led the Mastodons (17-11, 10-7). Frank Gaines, Ben Botts and Trey McCorkle added 10 points apiece.
The Thunderbirds bolted to an 8-0 lead and were never threatened. They led 43-25 at intermission, and their advantage never dropped below 14 in the second half. The lead crested at 78-52 on Massey's 3-pointer with 4:47 left.
SUU closes out the regular season hosting first-place Oakland University at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48