CEDAR CITY — Kyle Davis scored 18 points and had game highs of eight rebounds and five assists to lead Southern Utah to an 84-66 victory over IPFW on Thursday night.
Ray Jones scored 16 points, Jackson Stevenett 15 and Matt Massey 10 for the Thunderbirds (11-17, 7-10 Summit League), who won their third straight game.
Southern Utah shot 60 percent (30 of 50) while limiting IPFW to 38.6 percent (22 of 57).
"I am really proud of our effort tonight," head coach Roger Reid said. "We came out with a great attitude and did a great job of running the floor and executing on both ends to get a good team win. Kyle and Jackson played very well. They gave us some confidence early and everybody played well off of them. I really like how were are playing right now as we close in on the conference tournament."
Zach Plackemeier drained four 3-pointers to account for his 12 points, which led the Mastodons (17-11, 10-7). Frank Gaines, Ben Botts and Trey McCorkle added 10 points apiece.
The Thunderbirds bolted to an 8-0 lead and were never threatened. They led 43-25 at intermission, and their advantage never dropped below 14 in the second half. The lead crested at 78-52 on Massey's 3-pointer with 4:47 left.
SUU closes out the regular season hosting first-place Oakland University at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday.
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 103
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 81
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 14
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Reports: BYU's Chase Fischer to play... 4