'Jeopardy!' winners: First Ken Jennings, now the Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — It was a "Jeopardy!" answer to which BYU graduate and former Utah resident Ken Jennings would have known the question in a heartbeat.
But there it was on the show Monday night, not last week during the man vs. computer grudge match that pitted Jennings and another contestant against the IBM behemoth Watson but on the show's annual Teen Tournament.
One of Monday's "Jeopardy!" Round categories? States' First Newspapers.
The $1,000 answer? Deseret News (1850)
The question? What is Utah?
The player who buzzed right in and blurted out "What is Utah," without hesitation? Raya Elias-Pushett, a high school junior from Aventura, Fla.
Raya told the Miami Herald her dream category was Disney. She did just fine with States' First Newspapers.
For the record, Raya earned $22,530, good enough for second in the round. That leaves her as a potential wild-card entrant into the semifinals, which begin Wednesday.
The Deseret News answer comes at the 8:05 mark of the video below.
- 'Overwhelming' community, national support...
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million mark,...
- BYU Broadcasting wins 13 more Emmys for...
- Bid farewell to extra warm October —...
- Updated newborn screening test picks up rare...
- Photos: Bison Roundup underway at Antelope...
- Suspect from Salt Lake City arrested in death...
- District attorney asks A.G. to consider...
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 127
- Stay lifted on adoptions by same-sex... 86
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support... 45
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million... 36
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 34
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 20
- Mia Love raising more money than Doug... 20
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 17