'Jeopardy!' winners: First Ken Jennings, now the Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — It was a "Jeopardy!" answer to which BYU graduate and former Utah resident Ken Jennings would have known the question in a heartbeat.
But there it was on the show Monday night, not last week during the man vs. computer grudge match that pitted Jennings and another contestant against the IBM behemoth Watson but on the show's annual Teen Tournament.
One of Monday's "Jeopardy!" Round categories? States' First Newspapers.
The $1,000 answer? Deseret News (1850)
The question? What is Utah?
The player who buzzed right in and blurted out "What is Utah," without hesitation? Raya Elias-Pushett, a high school junior from Aventura, Fla.
Raya told the Miami Herald her dream category was Disney. She did just fine with States' First Newspapers.
For the record, Raya earned $22,530, good enough for second in the round. That leaves her as a potential wild-card entrant into the semifinals, which begin Wednesday.
The Deseret News answer comes at the 8:05 mark of the video below.
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Mother and son charged in drive-by shooting...
- Salt Lake County lands on Top 10 list of...
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for...
- New poll shows more support for Sen. Mike Lee
- Utah family into film, acting, directing and...
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 87
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 46
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 41
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 39
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 31
- Granite School District reaches... 22
- New poll shows more support for Sen.... 20