'Jeopardy!' winners: First Ken Jennings, now the Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — It was a "Jeopardy!" answer to which BYU graduate and former Utah resident Ken Jennings would have known the question in a heartbeat.
But there it was on the show Monday night, not last week during the man vs. computer grudge match that pitted Jennings and another contestant against the IBM behemoth Watson but on the show's annual Teen Tournament.
One of Monday's "Jeopardy!" Round categories? States' First Newspapers.
The $1,000 answer? Deseret News (1850)
The question? What is Utah?
The player who buzzed right in and blurted out "What is Utah," without hesitation? Raya Elias-Pushett, a high school junior from Aventura, Fla.
Raya told the Miami Herald her dream category was Disney. She did just fine with States' First Newspapers.
For the record, Raya earned $22,530, good enough for second in the round. That leaves her as a potential wild-card entrant into the semifinals, which begin Wednesday.
The Deseret News answer comes at the 8:05 mark of the video below.
- Son of murdered woman felt peace in '91, now...
- Missionary, police testify against man...
- Attorney general deciding whether to appeal...
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Utah mother who left 11-month-old in hot car...
- Police reviewing possible nightclub photos of...
- Trial ordered for Cameo Crispi, accused of...
- Judge postpones ruling in Park City Mountain...
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 44
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 39
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 35
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 34
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 29
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 22