'Jeopardy!' winners: First Ken Jennings, now the Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — It was a "Jeopardy!" answer to which BYU graduate and former Utah resident Ken Jennings would have known the question in a heartbeat.
But there it was on the show Monday night, not last week during the man vs. computer grudge match that pitted Jennings and another contestant against the IBM behemoth Watson but on the show's annual Teen Tournament.
One of Monday's "Jeopardy!" Round categories? States' First Newspapers.
The $1,000 answer? Deseret News (1850)
The question? What is Utah?
The player who buzzed right in and blurted out "What is Utah," without hesitation? Raya Elias-Pushett, a high school junior from Aventura, Fla.
Raya told the Miami Herald her dream category was Disney. She did just fine with States' First Newspapers.
For the record, Raya earned $22,530, good enough for second in the round. That leaves her as a potential wild-card entrant into the semifinals, which begin Wednesday.
The Deseret News answer comes at the 8:05 mark of the video below.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- Father of slain woman said he lived his life...
- Preliminary hearing set for Utah mom accused...
- Judge sets November hearing for ex-A.G.s Mark...
- 2 children critically injured in wrong-way...
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Federal government extends same-sex... 29
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12