'Jeopardy!' winners: First Ken Jennings, now the Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — It was a "Jeopardy!" answer to which BYU graduate and former Utah resident Ken Jennings would have known the question in a heartbeat.
But there it was on the show Monday night, not last week during the man vs. computer grudge match that pitted Jennings and another contestant against the IBM behemoth Watson but on the show's annual Teen Tournament.
One of Monday's "Jeopardy!" Round categories? States' First Newspapers.
The $1,000 answer? Deseret News (1850)
The question? What is Utah?
The player who buzzed right in and blurted out "What is Utah," without hesitation? Raya Elias-Pushett, a high school junior from Aventura, Fla.
Raya told the Miami Herald her dream category was Disney. She did just fine with States' First Newspapers.
For the record, Raya earned $22,530, good enough for second in the round. That leaves her as a potential wild-card entrant into the semifinals, which begin Wednesday.
The Deseret News answer comes at the 8:05 mark of the video below.
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- South Jordan mother spends days caring for...
- Repo man charged with manslaughter in...
- Report: Tourism spending in Utah grew to...
- Herbert appoints new 3rd District Court judge
- Polygamous food stamp fraud trial pushed back...
- Bomb threats called in to 2 Utah schools
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 105
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 40
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 33
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed... 9
- IRS scam goes far beyond a phone call... 8