Tom Smart, Deseret News
TAYLORSVILLE — The Fremont Silver Wolves hadn't played in 10 days, and head coach Lisa Dalebout thought her team let it show.
Fortunately they found a little life at halftime.
After holding a nine-point lead at the midpoint, the Silver Wolves stormed out of the locker room and eventually posted a 65-51 win over the Brighton Bengals in the first round of the 5A state tournament on Monday afternoon.
"We had a week off and I was worried about how it would affect us," Dalebout said. "I thought (we) looked flat in the first half and (Brighton) dictated how we played."
A halftime chat did the trick.
"In the second half, we just executed and played better on defense," Dalebout said. "Mostly, we executed lots better in transition. That was the main difference."
"(Sturdevant) did a really great job, she's a great rebounder at the guard position," Dalebout said of the 5-foot-8 guard who finished with 15 points.
Bell added a team-high 19 points, and the seniors combined to shoot 8-for-13 from the foul line at a crucial point late in the game.
The Silver Wolves scored all but six of their 23 fourth quarter points from the foul line to stave off Brighton's attempt at a rally.
Mikkell Minnock scored six of her eight points in the fourth quarter, and all of those were from the foul line, while Whitney Wallace, who finished with 12 points, was a perfect 4-for-4 in the final period to stave off Brighton.
"There was a little anxiety and nerves to start, but I thought we played through that really well," Dalebout added.
Senior guard Shelbi Everett led the Bengals, who finished third in a tough Region 4. She totaled 21 points, hitting two 3-pointers and going 5-for-7 from the foul line. Mikayla Mosely also reached double digits with 11 points.
Up next for Fremont is a matchup with Region 1 foe Viewmont. The Silver Wolves have already beat Viewmont twice this season, but the Vikings have upsets on their mind after surprising Skyline in their own tournament opener.
That game will tip off at 4 p.m. on Wednesday at Salt Lake Community College.
- BYU special teams features some 'mystery and...
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU...
- Former UNC coach Dean Smith willed $200 to...
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU rugby...
- Utah Jazz assistants (well, two of 'em)...
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL president...
- Duke's Okafor presents big Sweet 16 challenge...
- Utah’s Wright, BYU’s Collinsworth...
- Utes to face Duke in the Sweet 16... 206
- A 16th Sweet 16 for the Utes, as Utah... 67
- BYU looking forward to an influx of... 53
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill is making a... 31
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 28
- It's Coach K vs. Coach K as Utah... 22
- Ogden chooses to play as an independent... 20
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 19