While there are strips that deal with political and social commentary, Crane has "no profound agendas. I just want to provide a little happiness, look at the absurdities of life in a way that makes people laugh."
Yes, there are a lot of his own personal values expressed in the lives of the Pickles. But they are universal values, he said.
"A lot of people tell me, 'you must have a camera in our house; that's just how we are.' But it's more about the humanity of humans, the fact that laughter is a universal language. When someone tells me, 'that strip made my day' — and I get e-mails like that a lot — it makes my day."
Wit and wisdom from Earl Pickles
The secret for staying married for such a long time? One of us talks and the other doesn't listen.
I keep forgetting I'm old. I'm supposed to look this way.
The best thing to do after winning an argument with Grandma is apologize.
The ones going slower than you are nincompoops, and the ones going faster than you are lunatics.
Youth and vitality are no match for old age and treachery.
The older I get, the better I was.
Setting a good example for the grandkids takes all the fun out of old age.
The trouble with doing nothing — you never know when you're finished.
When you can put your foot on three dandelions at once, its spring.
I used to burn, but now I smolder. And that's how I know I'm growing older.
Scratch a dog once, and you're busy for the rest of the day.
I'd like to be remembered as the stubborn old man who just wouldn't die.
At our age, comfortable trumps ugly every time.
If you're going to put rocks in your pockets, you had better be wearing a belt.
I've found that the best way to locate something I've lost is to buy a new one.
Life is like a grapefruit. It's yellow-orange and squishy, and it has a few seeds in it, and if you're not careful, it will squirt you in the eye.
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your kids to...
- Area museums help visitors ‘slow down,...
- BYU Museum of Art honors National Park...
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's...
- Book review: 3 recent books share aspects of...
- Jim Bennett: One 11-year-old's perspective on...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 20
- Amy Iverson: Showing kids how to make... 6
- Wright Words: What I learned from Machu... 4
- After 8 years with no 'true increase'... 3
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's... 2
- First-timers and veterans among... 2
- The Clean Cut: 91-year-old widow... 2
- Twila Van Leer: Wow! I'm part of... 1