WEST VALLEY CITY — The Las Vegas Wranglers defeated the Utah Grizzlies 3-2 Saturday before 6,876 fans and 313 dogs in the fifth annual "Pooch on the Pond."
Over $12,000 was raised for the Angel's Hands Foundation in a postgame auction.
Las Vegas scored two power-play goals in the final 2:49 of regulation. BYU product Tamio Stehrenberger stopped 34 of 37 shots for the Grizzlies.
"We had the same guys going again, and we need everyone pulling the rope in the same direction," said Grizzlies Head Coach Kevin Colley. "Tamio gave us a chance to win and I feel sorry for him, he just had no help in front of him."
The Wranglers drew a power-play 17 seconds into the game and took a 1-0 lead 1:48 into the contest. Utah stormed back as Hugo Carpentier picked up a loose puck, off of a Brian Kilburg blast from the blueline, and knocked it in from an odd angle for his 10th goal of the season.
The game stayed 1-1 until Simon Ferguson's team-leading 17th goal of the season 2:58 into the third period gave Utah a 2-1 lead on the power-play.
Tom May and Brent Gauvreau picked up assists on the play as they kept the play alive after Las Vegas goaltender Michael Ouzas was unable to cover up the puck.
Utah held the lead until they got into penalty problems in the final seven minutes with three minor penalties that led to the two Las Vegas goals.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 285
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 77
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 48
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 38
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37