WEST VALLEY CITY — The Las Vegas Wranglers defeated the Utah Grizzlies 3-2 Saturday before 6,876 fans and 313 dogs in the fifth annual "Pooch on the Pond."
Over $12,000 was raised for the Angel's Hands Foundation in a postgame auction.
Las Vegas scored two power-play goals in the final 2:49 of regulation. BYU product Tamio Stehrenberger stopped 34 of 37 shots for the Grizzlies.
"We had the same guys going again, and we need everyone pulling the rope in the same direction," said Grizzlies Head Coach Kevin Colley. "Tamio gave us a chance to win and I feel sorry for him, he just had no help in front of him."
The Wranglers drew a power-play 17 seconds into the game and took a 1-0 lead 1:48 into the contest. Utah stormed back as Hugo Carpentier picked up a loose puck, off of a Brian Kilburg blast from the blueline, and knocked it in from an odd angle for his 10th goal of the season.
The game stayed 1-1 until Simon Ferguson's team-leading 17th goal of the season 2:58 into the third period gave Utah a 2-1 lead on the power-play.
Tom May and Brent Gauvreau picked up assists on the play as they kept the play alive after Las Vegas goaltender Michael Ouzas was unable to cover up the puck.
Utah held the lead until they got into penalty problems in the final seven minutes with three minor penalties that led to the two Las Vegas goals.
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- Dick Harmon: BYU workhorse running back Nate...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 78
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 39
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 25