We listened to a recent legislative hearing for Rep. Stephen Sandstrom's immigration reform bill, HB70, via the Web. All of the testimony, pro and con, was informative. However, we feel Sandstrom is deluding himself when he says his legislation isn't in conflict with the "Utah Compact: A Declaration of Five Principles To Guide Utah's Immigration Discussion."
His enforcement-only approach will create a culture of fear, disrupt families across the state, and negatively impact our economy. We urge Sandstrom to table his legislation and join forces with the Utah Compact's civic, business, law enforcement, and religious leaders who see a better way forward.
Ron and Sara Lee
- In our opinion: Perry indictment a concern
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Families battling...
- Scandals hiding in plain sight
- A. Scott Anderson: The world needs America to...
- Charles Krauthammer: The role of a great...
- Michael Gerson: No time to lead from behind
- Join the discussion: Is Rick Perry's...
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games' —...
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games'... 81
- Robert Bennett: Contrary to Krugman,... 61
- In our opinion: Perry indictment a concern 56
- Letter: Utah's birthright 49
- Letter: Irreparable damage 48
- In our opinion: Avoid blurring the line... 46
- Join the discussion: Why is young adult... 42
- Michael Gerson: Rand Paul's bogus outreach 37