We listened to a recent legislative hearing for Rep. Stephen Sandstrom's immigration reform bill, HB70, via the Web. All of the testimony, pro and con, was informative. However, we feel Sandstrom is deluding himself when he says his legislation isn't in conflict with the "Utah Compact: A Declaration of Five Principles To Guide Utah's Immigration Discussion."
His enforcement-only approach will create a culture of fear, disrupt families across the state, and negatively impact our economy. We urge Sandstrom to table his legislation and join forces with the Utah Compact's civic, business, law enforcement, and religious leaders who see a better way forward.
Ron and Sara Lee
- 16 of the most heart warming and feel-good...
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a...
- In our opinion: It's time to end the federal...
- Mike Lee: Tax reform shouldn't penalize...
- Letter: Prison nonsense
- Robert Bennett: Obama's State of the Union...
- Letter: Is hard work unorthodox?
- Letter: Peanut butter ban?
- Jay Evensen: Obama must make religious... 57
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules... 35
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a... 33
- Robert Bennett: Obama's State of the... 30
- Letter: Prison nonsense 28
- In our opinion: It's time to end the... 27
- Letter: Peanut butter ban? 21
- Letter: Pay for your share 20