We listened to a recent legislative hearing for Rep. Stephen Sandstrom's immigration reform bill, HB70, via the Web. All of the testimony, pro and con, was informative. However, we feel Sandstrom is deluding himself when he says his legislation isn't in conflict with the "Utah Compact: A Declaration of Five Principles To Guide Utah's Immigration Discussion."
His enforcement-only approach will create a culture of fear, disrupt families across the state, and negatively impact our economy. We urge Sandstrom to table his legislation and join forces with the Utah Compact's civic, business, law enforcement, and religious leaders who see a better way forward.
Ron and Sara Lee
- Your future Utah needs your input now —...
- Drew Clark: Congress should modernize highway...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Mediocre...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Economic turmoil in...
- Stuart Reid: Despite study results, religion...
- Letter: Special treatment
- Letter: Chamber's misleading ad
- My View: Trade promotion authority would...
- My view: Reducing benefits gradually... 36
- Letter: A constant example 17
- National debt not just financial issue... 14
- Letter: The good ones 14
- Letter: Put people in control 13
- Letter: Today's young people care about... 11
- In our opinion: Clinton Foundation's... 8
- Jay Evensen: Why would anyone fill out... 7