We listened to a recent legislative hearing for Rep. Stephen Sandstrom's immigration reform bill, HB70, via the Web. All of the testimony, pro and con, was informative. However, we feel Sandstrom is deluding himself when he says his legislation isn't in conflict with the "Utah Compact: A Declaration of Five Principles To Guide Utah's Immigration Discussion."
His enforcement-only approach will create a culture of fear, disrupt families across the state, and negatively impact our economy. We urge Sandstrom to table his legislation and join forces with the Utah Compact's civic, business, law enforcement, and religious leaders who see a better way forward.
Ron and Sara Lee
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Doug Robinson: We are in the midst of an era...
- Michael Gerson: The gospel according to JC...
- My view: Fix Obamacare, don't replace it
- Matthew Sanders: Nelson Mandela's goodness...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Government programs...
- Most popular letters to the editor of 2013
- President should not act without...
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum... 63
- My view: Fix Obamacare, don't replace it 59
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before... 43
- Letter: Doctors unite 40
- Andrew Morriss: No, Congress should not... 36
- Michael E. Kraft: Yes, Congress should... 22
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 19
- Letter: Foreign aid 18