SINGAPORE — Las Vegas Sands Corp. wants to build "Euro-Vegas" in Spain, its CEO Sheldon Adelson said Thursday, touting a euros 15 billion ($20.3 billion) plan for a massive strip-style casino resort in Madrid or Barcelona.
Sands is in talks with officials from both cities about the project, which could have 20,000 hotel rooms, millions of square feet of retail and convention space and create 180,000 jobs, Adelson told reporters in Singapore.
"I want to do a mini-Las Vegas in Europe," Adelson said. "I hope we can use the name Europe Vegas or Euro-Vegas."
Adelson said he plans to meet with contractors in two weeks and is assembling a team of architects and builders that would construct several resorts at once.
"We're very seriously considering this, we're very actively pursuing this," he said. "There's no reason why we can't do it."
Las Vegas Sands invested about $6 billion to build the Marina Bay Sands casino resort in Singapore, which opened last year. Adelson said Sands is seeking more land from Singapore to enlarge the casino's convention space because demand has been much higher than expected.
Sands also owns the Sands Macau and the Venetian Macau along with the Sands Casino Resort Bethlehem in Pennsylvania and the Venetian and the Palazzo in Las Vegas.
Sands would need concessions from the Spanish government for land and guarantees that building plans would be approved quickly, Adelson said.
"We need the support of the government," he said. "We can't draw up a plan, give it to the building department and wait six months to get an answer."
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- WestJet airline video goes viral as Santa...
- Young adults are faced with risky decision to...
- The Grand America and the Flower Patch: Once...
- Gift Guide: Do homework when buying a tablet...
- 2 financial goals you should revisit every year
- Are Americans investing or speculating on a...
- Utah gas prices among lowest in nation
- Young adults are faced with risky... 13
- The American Dream is still alive for... 11
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 11
- System failure to blame for delayed... 9
- Leavitt stresses importance of allies,... 8
- WestJet airline video goes viral as... 4
- Utah gas prices among lowest in nation 4
- Companies make CEO changes in U.S. and... 3