OREM — People who have made significant contributions to the arts in a variety of categories will be recognized for their achievements at the 6th Annual Star Awards on Feb. 19 at the SCERA Center for the Arts in Orem.
The Mormon Tabernacle Choir will receive the night's biggest award, the 2011 Star Award. The choir has made more than 175 recordings, won a Grammy award, earned five gold and two platinum records and has been inducted into the National Association of Broadcasters' Hall of Fame and the National Radio Hall of Fame.
Others to be honored include:
Lex de Azevedo, a composer, pianist, conductor and singer.
Rodger Sorensen, BYU's chair of theater and media arts.
Bonnie Story, associate artistic director for Odyssey Dance Theatre, choreographer and teacher,
The Springville Museum of Art, the oldest museum in Utah for the visual fine arts.
Sam Cardon, a musician and Emmy-winning composer who has written music for nearly two dozen feature films and more than a dozen IMAX films.
Zions Bank, which has made major contributions to arts groups spanning the state.
Ivan Lincoln, retired Deseret News theater critic.
Robert and Darlene Nave, who have volunteered at SCERA, Thanksgiving Point, deliver food from a local grocery store to the Food Coalition, sponsor a class at Lincoln Academy charter school in Pleasant Grove, work on the Christmas for Children with Cancer Foundation and serve at a funeral home helping and comforting families.
Col. Jack Tueller, a World War II pilot who donates his time to play "Taps" at veterans' funerals.
Each honoree will be given a plaque and make a short acceptance speech.
The awards ceremony will follow a dinner and auction, with the proceeds from the evening going to SCERA's nonprofit charitable Endowment for the Arts.
For more information, see scera.org.
- 'Duck Dynasty' daughter sticks to Christian...
- 'The Voice' gives Tanner Linford a chance to...
- Bill Murray shines as 'St. Vincent'
- Have 'The Simpsons' gotten a bad rap?
- Utah families strive to raise awareness of...
- Classic films to help make your Halloween...
- Pumpkins grown at prison delivered to children
- Marvel superheroes power up 'Disney Infinity...
- 'Duck Dynasty' daughter sticks to... 16
- Old-fashioned soda shops making... 3
- San Francisco radio stations ban hit... 2
- Oh, Internet. Why you gotta be so rude?... 1
- Classic films to help make your... 1
- Foreign films lead new movies on... 1
- Horror cliches abound in tedious 'Ouija' 1
- Have 'The Simpsons' gotten a bad rap? 1