GOLF: At St. George, the Thunderbirds moved up four spots Tuesday to finish in a tie with Seattle University in seventh place at the seventh-annual Pat Hicks Thunderbird Invitational. The Thunderbirds rebounded from a 304 on Monday with a 290 on Tuesday to finish at 594, 24 shots off the pace of Dixie State (570), which won its first Pat Hicks title. The tournament was contested over the par 72, 6,879-yard Sunbrook Golf Club Pinte and Woodbridge nines.
Utah Valley's Mason Casper, grandson of golfing legend Billy Casper, claimed medalist honors after shooting 67-70 for a total 137, two shots better than Dixie State's Tyler Reardon and College of Charleston's Alex Ellis.
Defending champion Charleston finished second at 575, followed by Utah Valley (576), Cal State Fullerton (578) and British Columbia (590). Utah State finished sixth at 592, followed by SUU and Seattle, with Colorado Mines ninth (596), Oral Roberts 10th (598) and Western Illinois and Boise State tied in 11th at 605.
Junior Jeff Evans led Southern Utah with a 12th-place finish after shooting 144 (74-70), while Brad Millard was 23rd at 146 (74-72). Nic Booth was third among Thunderbirds in 40th at 151 (79-72), while SUU's Jordan Orth was 46th (77-76, 153) and Denny Job was 76th (90-80, 170).
SUU also had four players competing as individuals. That group was led by Greg Kerber, who shot 151 (80-71) to finish with a share of 40th, with Jake Holt 51st (75-79, 154), Justin Bateman 75th (76-93, 169) and Brock Glasmann 77th (84-89, 173).
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- From dating advice to awkward returns: 10 of...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- ESPN highlights BYU basketball's roster...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 106
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 52
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 41
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27