CASA GRANDE, Ariz. — A day after inking defender Nat Borchers to a contract extension that runs through 2014, Real Salt Lake wrapped up the preseason with an impressive 2-0 victory over Chivas USA on Tuesday afternoon.
The team will now return to Utah to begin making final preparations for its CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal series against the Columbus Crew. The first leg is in Columbus next Tuesday, and the return leg is at Rio Tinto Stadium on March 1.
RSL kicks off the MLS regular season on March 19 at San Jose.
The starters in RSL's final tune-up match were Nick Rimando, Tony Beltran, Borchers, Jamison Olave, Chris Wingert, Kyle Beckerman, Ned Grabavoy, Javier Morales, Alvaro Saborio and Paulo Jr.
Real Salt Lake scored both its goals midway through the second half, with Olave knocking home an Andy Williams corner around the 60th minute and then Johnson cleaning up a Saborio deflected shot in the 70th minute.
Borchers played all 90 minutes for RSL, which fans should get used to. An MLS Best XI defender in 2010, Borchers signed a contract extension earlier this week that will keep him around until 2014.
"I feel fortunate to have come to a long-term agreement with Real Salt Lake because I believe we have something special happening with this team right now," said Borchers. "Before these talks started, I came to the club and told them that I didn't want to play anywhere other than here, so I'm thankful we got a deal done and am looking forward to help out the team in any way I can."
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 52
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 52
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48