OREM — The Utah Flash (17-15) earned their third consecutive win, and their fifth win this season against the Austin Toros (13-19), with Monday's 99-93 victory.
The Flash opened up the game on a quick 6-0 run, but the Toros battled back to take a two point lead into the quarter break. Both teams scored 14 points from the free throw line in a physical first quarter.
The Flash took the lead in the first minute of the second quarter (25-23). Although the lead changed three more times, the Flash outscored the Toros 30-20 during the second quarter. The Flash had 19 assists on 19 made baskets in the first half, a franchise record.
At the end of the third quarter the Flash lead had been cut to four (73-69). Gaffney began the third quarter with a layup shot giving the Flash a ten-point lead (53-43). The Toro's James Anderson answered back with a three pointer, but the Toros never could regain the lead.
The Flash used five made free throws late in the fourth to seal the win.
Coleman led the game with 20 points and 10 rebounds.
Five Flash players scored in double digits. Orien Greene led Utah with 18 points, followed by Brian Hamilton with 16 and Kevin Kruger with 13. Sy led in rebounds with eight. The Flash had a season-high 27 assists on 30 made baskets.
The Flash play again at home Wednesday at 7 p.m. at the UCCU Events Center.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for Foul-A-Frenchie...
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the road...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 66
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 29
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 21