Meanwhile, there are plenty of other non-Post media links today.
Along the same lines of election-year attention directed to the LDS Church, Mormon writer Mark Paredes — whose "Jews and Mormons" blog is a regular feature on JewishJournal.com — offers a two-part series "Mormon Q&A for the Upcoming Presidential Election." Part I is here and Part II here.
From "Jane Austen Connects with Mormon Women, According to Austen Bio Sales," author/editor Howard F. Clarke saw that book sales of "Jane Austen: Her Life and Letters, a Family Record" in the Salt Lake City area exceeded any other U.S. location by an 8-to-1 margin. The moral of the story, he says, is the morals of Austen's stories.
The Northville, Mich. Patch takes a look here at a couple of local young men returning after serving their missions — one in Arizona, the other in Chile. The report provides a lengthy offering from a hometown-newspaper perspective on missionaries, missions and the return home of two friends.
The Albany, N.Y., Times Union reports here on the LDS Church being denied by the city's planning board in its bid to demolish a vacant Catholic middle school and building a new church meetinghouse on the site it recently purchased. Some opponents want to retain historic buildings; other suggest the LDS Church renovate and move into a smaller, vacant Catholic church building across the street.
From the South Pacific and Pacific.Scoop.co.nz comes this posting simply titled "Of missionaries and bicycles," featuring Veronica Irobeni, the first woman from the Solomon Islands to serve a full-time mission
The post comes straight from LDS public affairs in New Zealand but still provides some interesting insights from Irobeni's service, such as her learning to ride a bicycle while in the New Zealand Auckland Mission.
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Doug Robinson: How this woman's focus on...
- Photos: A Pioneer Day celebration of heritage...
- Man falls 70 feet to his death in Provo
- Man shot dead in Midvale; alleged shooter in...
- 4 arrested in connection with fatal Cedar...
- Midvale killing may be case of self-defense,...
- Pregnant woman killed in collision with...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 80
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 65
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17