Marcus Morris got his wish. Kansas is No. 1 once again.
San Diego State and BYU, meanwhile, held steady at the No. 6 and 7 spots. Utah State fell from No. 21 to No. 25 after losing to Idaho last week.
After Ohio States first defeat, the one-loss Jayhawks moved up from No. 2 on Monday to the top spot in The Associated Press college basketball poll, a familiar place for Bill Selfs program.
When they beat Iowa State on Saturday, a couple of hours after the Buckeyes lost at Wisconsin, the Jayhawks were ready to ascend.
I want to be No. 1. I was waiting for somebody to ask me, said Morris, Kansas leading scorer.
The Jayhawks (24-1, 9-1 Big 12) were ranked No. 1 for 15 weeks last season but lost to Northern Iowa in the second round of the NCAA tournament.
Its great in February to be ranked this high, but we know in order to stay up there and have a chance to do what we hope to do, weve got to keep trying to get better, Self said.
Kansas received 22 first-place votes from the 65-member national media panel, while Ohio State received 14 first-place votes and trailed the Jayhawks by only 13 points. In third place is Texas, the only team to beat Kansas. But the Longhorns did collect the most first-place votes: 23. No. 4 Pittsburgh was No. 1 on six ballots.
Duke, which was No. 1 the first nine weeks, is No. 5. Completing the top 10 are: San Diego State, BYU, Notre Dame, Georgetown and Wisconsin.
Ohio States first game as No. 2 will be Tuesday night against Michigan State, which may have played the toughest non-conference schedule while facing Texas, Duke, Connecticut and Syracuse.
Michigan State coach Tom Izzo said the top four were tightly bunched because there was no clear-cut No. 1.
Weve seen Kansas a lot on film. Ive talked to Bill Self, Izzo said. Hes not enamored with them yet. Some of that was the Selby kid, but theres a lot of depth on that team. Texas, I told you all along, was the best team we played. Pittsburgh is definitely the toughest team of that four as far as being physically tough. I dont think theres a North Carolina, Kentucky or Kansas of last year. Maybe Ill find out it is Ohio State.
Xavier enters the Top 25, replacing West Virginia.
Purdue is No. 11 followed by Arizona, Connecticut, Florida, Villanova, Louisville, Syracuse, Vanderbilt, North Carolina and Missouri. No. 21 Texas A&M is followed by Kentucky, Temple, Xavier and Utah State.
Since Self became coach in 2003, Kansas has been ranked in the top 10 in 95 AP polls.
AP Top 25
Record Pts Pvs
1. Kansas (22) 24-1 1,549 2
2. Ohio St. (14) 24-1 1,536 1
3. Texas (23) 22-3 1,535 3
4. Pittsburgh (6) 23-2 1,478 4
5. Duke 23-2 1,348 5
6. San Diego St. 25-1 1,256 6
7. BYU 24-2 1,217 7
8. Notre Dame 21-4 1,212 8
9. Georgetown 20-5 1,103 11
10. Wisconsin 19-5 1,044 13
11. Purdue 20-5 941 14
12. Arizona 21-4 795 15
13. Connecticut 19-5 786 10
14. Florida 20-5 775 17
15. Villanova 19-6 710 9
16. Louisville 19-6 683 16
17. Syracuse 20-6 496 12
- BYU football: 10 players to buy stock in
- BYU football: 10 players poised for breakout...
- Gordon Hayward agrees to terms with...
- Utah Jazz almost on the clock to match Gordon...
- Jimmer Fredette returns to Provo to talk...
- Graphic: What would happen if the Jazz match...
- Options the Jazz should consider before...
- Good first impression for Utah Jazz rookie...
- Vai's View: Harvey Langi hopes to... 268
- BYU-Utah rated nation's 12th-best... 112
- Gordon Hayward agrees to terms with... 63
- Brad Rock: What Gordon Hayward needs to... 33
- 4 Utah college football players named... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Robert Anae likes... 28
- BYU football: Box Elder's Riley Burt... 27
- Utah Jazz almost on the clock to match... 21