Ravell Call, Deseret News
I have grown up watching Jazz basketball, and Jazz basketball is Jerry Sloan basketball. My dad has always praised Sloan's no-nonsense style. As my dad taught me about the importance of discipline in all we do, he often had me observe the level of consistency Coach Sloan's players were expected to have. I have always respected dedication and hard work because of it.
Many players came and went during Sloan's time as head coach. Those who played the way Sloan taught were successful no matter the franchise they later played for. Those who only gave a half-hearted effort had disappointing results. Sloan's system was structured so that if you worked hard, when your number was called, you would have a chance to be successful.
Thank you, Coach Sloan for your example of work, loyalty, humility and dedication.
- My view: MMR vaccine caused my son's autism
- Letters: Move to the center
- My view: UDOT listened, made a good choice
- Richard Davis: Abortion laws should keep up...
- Letters: No welfare, ever
- In our opinion: Utah's caucus system needs...
- Dan Liljenquist: IRS scandal is an assault on...
- Facts about the Boy Scouts of America
- Letters: No welfare, ever 77
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus... 33
- Letters: Move to the center 33
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate 32
- Richard Davis: Abortion laws should... 28
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation... 27
- Dan Liljenquist: IRS scandal is an... 22
- Robert J. Samuelson: Can Americans stem... 21