Ravell Call, Deseret News
I have grown up watching Jazz basketball, and Jazz basketball is Jerry Sloan basketball. My dad has always praised Sloan's no-nonsense style. As my dad taught me about the importance of discipline in all we do, he often had me observe the level of consistency Coach Sloan's players were expected to have. I have always respected dedication and hard work because of it.
Many players came and went during Sloan's time as head coach. Those who played the way Sloan taught were successful no matter the franchise they later played for. Those who only gave a half-hearted effort had disappointing results. Sloan's system was structured so that if you worked hard, when your number was called, you would have a chance to be successful.
Thank you, Coach Sloan for your example of work, loyalty, humility and dedication.
- In our opinion: Earmarks are becoming a...
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging
- Letter: Elected representatives
- In our opinion:: Nelson Mandela left legacy...
- If Iran truly wants only nuclear energy, it...
- Letter: No limits
- Michael Gerson: Cancer has helped me see life...
- Gov. Gary Herbert's budget hits the mark
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging 53
- In our opinion: U.S. schools still... 43
- Robert J. Samuelson: Economics lacks... 40
- Letter: Elected representatives 31
- Robert Bennett: 'Nuclear option' ends... 27
- George F. Will: Why Iran should be... 19
- Letter: No limits 18
- In our opinion: Pioneer Park progress... 16