SEATTLE — Miles Batty, a junior from Sandy's Jordan High, broke a 31-year-old school record en route to a second-place finish in the mile at Saturday's Husky Classic track and field meet at the University of Washington.
Batty recorded a time of 3:55.79 to break the school record held by two-time Olympian Doug Padilla by one second.
"He ran one of the best races in BYU history," said BYU coach Ed Eyestone.
It marked the first time Batty broke the four minute-mile barrier. Two weeks ago he ran 4:00.9 on this same track.
The mile turned into a two-man race over the final lap, with Batty running on the shoulder of Chris Solinski, a professional runner and the American record holder at 10,000 meters. Solinski finished a second ahead of Batty.
Batty's time makes him the fifth fastest miler in the world so far this season and the fastest collegian.
He was one of several BYU distance runners who competed in Seattle, while the rest of the team competed in the Air Force Invitational — a meet the Cougars won with 106 points.
"We had an amazing day, there isn't much more to it than that," said Eyestone.
Sophomore Travis Fuller also ran well for BYU, recording a 4:02.79 time in the mile behind Batty.
Senior Nathan Ogden finished 16th in a fast 5,000-meter race, with a time of 13:55.70
The 3000-meter featured sophomore Jared Rohatinsky picking up a sixth-place finish with a time of 8:09.92.
At the Air Force Invitational, BYU's field event athletes had good marks with senior Chris Little clearing 5.42m (17-09.25) in the pole vault for a second place finish and sophomore Victor Weirich finishing in fourth with a 5.20m (17-0.75) mark. Senior Trevor Heiner cleared 2.08m (6-09.75) in the high jump for a season best to take second place.
Senior Leif Arrhenius competed for the first time this season in the weight throw and didn't disappoint, winning the event with a mark of 21.06m (69-01.25). Senior Oliver Whaley helped out in the weight throw as well with a toss of 17.25m (56-07.25).
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- College football predictions: How will... 140
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 48
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42