In BYU's 72-59 victory over Utah Saturday at the Marriott Center, Fredette secured win No. 104 in his illustrious career, moving past former teammate Jonathan Tavernari's 103 wins. Tavernari set that record last season.
Fredette, who scored a game-high 23 points, also tied Eldon Brinley for the for the most career points by a BYU player against Utah. Fredette scored 182 points in eight games. Brinley also scored 182 points, but it took him 16 games, from 1928-1931.
FACES IN THE CROWD: The attendance was a sellout of 22,700. Among the attendees were Utah Jazz players Deron Williams and C.J. Miles.
BOUNCE BACK: Utah coach Jim Boylen was pleased with his team's effort after a 85-53 setback at San Diego State on Tuesday.
"We really battled after a humbling loss to SDSU and it shows growth in this young team," Boylen said. "We were hoping to recover after that loss but we didn't. Everything this team experiences is new. Our two leading scorers are new and this level of competition is new to them."
After playing two top 10 teams this week, the Utes face Wyoming at home on Wednesday and New Mexico on the road Saturday.
DOZEN HERE, DOZEN THERE: Boylen said he felt the Utes could manage the game if they were able to hold Fredette to 12 points in each half.
It didn't happen, although his final total came in at 23.
Utah held the nation's scoring leader to just eight in the first half. Fredette, however, followed with 15 after the break — including 12 straight in a decisive stretch.
BLUE NOTES: BYU coach Dave Rose recorded win No. 151 in his career, pushing him within one victory of Roger Reid for second-place all-time at BYU. ... Jackson Emery's six steals against Utah tied a career high. Emery also added five assists and zero turnovers. ... Fredette's team-leading free throw streak ended at 28 with 1:17 remaining in the first half. ... Fredette has scored 20-plus points in 11 consecutive games. In his career, Fredette has scored at least 20 points in 51 games. ... BYU now leads the all-time series with Utah, 127-125. The Cougars have won nine of the last 10 meetings.
RED NOTES: Junior forward Will Clyburn led the Utes with 18 points. He has reached double-figures in 23 games this season and topped the team 17 times. ... Boylen's record is now 29-30 in MWC games, including a 1-7 mark against BYU. ... Junior center David Foster blocked a shot to up his career total to 196. He's just 10 away from breaking Luke Nevill's school record. ... Junior guard Chris Kupets hit three 3-point shots and finished with 14 points. ... Freshman forward J.J. O'Brien added 10 points and seven rebounds. ... Utah finished with just seven assists, failing to reach 10 or more for the fourth consecutive game. ... The Utes are 3-8 on the road this season.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to Pacific,...
- Live stream: High school drill team state...
- Hood, Hayward help Jazz eclipse Suns for...
- 'Heart-to-heart' talk between Krystkowiak and...
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks edged out at UCLA...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired assistant...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 100
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 83
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 58
- BYU football: 2016 recruiting class... 42
- College football signing day central:... 34
- 5-star LDS linebacker prospect Mique... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 30
- Brad Rock: Recruiting day puts Utes in... 29