JUNEAU, Alaska — Sarah Palin has hired longtime political strategist Michael Glassner as chief of staff of her political action committee.
The hire, confirmed to The Associated Press on Saturday morning by Palin aide Rebecca Mansour and SarahPAC Treasurer Tim Crawford, is certain to fuel fresh speculation about Palin's possible intent to run for president in 2012. Palin has only said she's considering a run.
Glassner managed Republican vice presidential operations in 2008, when Palin was John McCain's running mate. Glassner also served as the longtime senior adviser to former U.S. Sen. Bob Dole.
"The fact this is someone who's had a career in national politics, that's the only indication that something might be up," said Ross Baker, a professor of political science at Rutgers University. But he doesn't think it's very significant in trying to divine Palin's plans, and it could just be a routine organizational move, he said.
"We tend to apply the sort of standards of interpretation that we would apply to, let's see, a Mitt Romney, that we would to her, and it's usually wrong, because her plans are so cryptic and her method of operation is so unconventional," he said.
Since resigning as Alaska's governor in 2009, Palin has relied heavily on Facebook and Twitter to communicate her point of view and remain in the political limelight. She also burnished her celebrity credentials last year, starring in the travelogue series "Sarah Palin's Alaska," and releasing a second book.
"Clearly, everybody is, all of the other hopefuls are hedging their bets based upon whether or not she's in the game or not," Baker said, adding that he believes a potential contender, like U.S. Sen. John Thune of South Dakota, probably would have given a clearer indication by now of his intentions if not for the uncertainty surrounding Palin, a tea party darling.
"I think she's keeping people off balance," Baker said, "which I think she probably finds quite enjoyable, that somebody who's a relative newcomer in the party has been able to keep all of the pros guessing."
- 31 things you might not know about the Harry...
- 13 baby names that are making a comeback
- 19 little-known facts about the Mission:...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Alleged sexual abuser on the run for 17 years...
- The one thing you may be giving your children...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Back to Beijing for 2nd Olympics in 14 years
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 109
- Religious groups react to Boy... 79
- Boy Scout board approves end to blanket... 71
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 31
- Oklahoma Supreme Court: Ten... 27
- Obama: Republican criticism of Iran... 26
- Covered California: Cost of health care... 18
- Trump's call for mass deportations runs... 17