Utah Jazz still frustrated, lose to Suns in Corbin's first game
Fill-in starter C.J. Miles added 19 points, Paul Millsap chipped in 14 and Gordon Hayward contributed 14 off the bench, but the Jazz were hurt by the lack of offensive production by Al Jefferson. The center only had four points to go with his 12 boards.
Nash led Phoenix (26-25) with 18 points and 10 assists as the Suns handed the Jazz (31-24) their fourth straight home loss.
The Jazz began the game shorthanded on the bench — both in coaches and players.
Mehmet Okur (back) didn't dress, and guards Raja Bell (strained left calf) and Ronnie Price (sprained right big toe) both sat out because of injuries.
Considering the dressy attire of Bell and Price, you might have thought they were Corbin's new assistants as they sat next to the small coaching staff that also includes Scott Layden and Hornacek.
But after starting with 10 healthy players, the Jazz ended up with just nine. Starting small forward Andrei Kirilenko sprained his right ankle in the first half. After hobbling off the court and into the training room, AK never returned to action.
X-rays on his ankle were negative, which was good for the Jazz. Utah's play without Kirilenko, however, also proved to be on the negative side.
The Jazz were up 50-37 when he left and took a 12-point lead into the locker room.
"He was playing well. He was being very active. He was handling the ball," Corbin said of Kirilenko, who ended with eight points, five boards and two assists in 13 minutes.
"He was making passes and making some shots. It affected us a little bit," Corbin added. "As I told them at halftime when we found out he wasn't playing, we can't make any excuses. We are the guys that are going to play. Nine guys are dressed and nine guys have to play."
The Jazz will have three days to work on getting their new coach his first win as they don't play again until Tuesday night in Phoenix.
And for the record, Sloan won his second game as Jazz head coach.
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has... 24