Utah Jazz still frustrated, lose to Suns in Corbin's first game
Fill-in starter C.J. Miles added 19 points, Paul Millsap chipped in 14 and Gordon Hayward contributed 14 off the bench, but the Jazz were hurt by the lack of offensive production by Al Jefferson. The center only had four points to go with his 12 boards.
Nash led Phoenix (26-25) with 18 points and 10 assists as the Suns handed the Jazz (31-24) their fourth straight home loss.
The Jazz began the game shorthanded on the bench — both in coaches and players.
Mehmet Okur (back) didn't dress, and guards Raja Bell (strained left calf) and Ronnie Price (sprained right big toe) both sat out because of injuries.
Considering the dressy attire of Bell and Price, you might have thought they were Corbin's new assistants as they sat next to the small coaching staff that also includes Scott Layden and Hornacek.
But after starting with 10 healthy players, the Jazz ended up with just nine. Starting small forward Andrei Kirilenko sprained his right ankle in the first half. After hobbling off the court and into the training room, AK never returned to action.
X-rays on his ankle were negative, which was good for the Jazz. Utah's play without Kirilenko, however, also proved to be on the negative side.
The Jazz were up 50-37 when he left and took a 12-point lead into the locker room.
"He was playing well. He was being very active. He was handling the ball," Corbin said of Kirilenko, who ended with eight points, five boards and two assists in 13 minutes.
"He was making passes and making some shots. It affected us a little bit," Corbin added. "As I told them at halftime when we found out he wasn't playing, we can't make any excuses. We are the guys that are going to play. Nine guys are dressed and nine guys have to play."
The Jazz will have three days to work on getting their new coach his first win as they don't play again until Tuesday night in Phoenix.
And for the record, Sloan won his second game as Jazz head coach.
- Will BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson play vs....
- Ranking the best season by a quarterback in...
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks about...
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on the...
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks off...
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- College football predictions: How will... 137
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 62
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 48
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41
- True freshman Brad Kaaya beats out... 36