LAS VEGAS — The Utah Grizzlies never trailed and won their fifth-straight game against conference-leading Las Vegas, who they now trail by just two points.
Utah goaltender Andrew Engelage stopped 21 of 23 shots in the game and eight-straight in a scoreless third period.
The Grizzlies took a 1-0 lead 15:51 into the first period with three seconds left to go on a power play as Simon Ferguson wrapped home a puck for his first of the game and 14th of the year. Nick Tuzzolino and Kevin Deeth picked up assists as Utah battled to hold the puck in.
Ferguson and Utah struck again to make it 2-0 just 10 seconds into the middle frame on a setup on the doorstep from Brett Parnham in the corner right off of the opening draw in the second period.
Las Vegas made it 2-1 on a power play goal 6:13 into the second period, just three seconds after a four-on-four situation expired.
However, right off of the ensuing face-off, Tom May was awarded a penalty shot as he broke towards the net. He converted on the opportunity for his 11th goal of the year.
The Grizzlies return home Tuesday with Alaska to open a four-game in five-night home stand. Face-off each night is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
- Commentary: Long-term success in independence...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- High school boys basketball: Underdogs shine...
- BYU basketball: Cougars face No. 21 UMass in...
- High school sports: Thursday's prep roundup
- Utah Jazz: Banner day coming for Jerry Sloan
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 57
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 52
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 46
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 43