SUU basketball: Thunderbirds show winless Gentleman the door
CEDAR CITY — Kyle Davis scored 17 points and Southern Utah defeated Centenary 70-49 on Thursday night, keeping the Gentlemen the lone remaining winless team in Division I this season.
The Gentlemen (0-26, 0-14 Summit) kept it close midway into the second half, trailing 42-38, but the Thunderbirds (8-16, 4-9) closed out the game with a 28-11 run.
Jeron Trotman led Centenary with 13 points and 10 rebounds, but he made just 3 of 13 attempts from the free-throw line.
Jake Nielson had 14 points and Ryan Brimley added 13 for Southern Utah, who led 31-25 at the half.
"I was very pleased with our efforts in the second half tonight,"?head coach Roger Reid said. "Jake brought great energy to the floor tonight and we played some good team defense in the second half to come away with the win."
Centenary made just 15 of 50 shots (30 percent) and also misfired on more than half of its free throws (16 of 34), while the Thunderbirds made 21 of 48 shots and were 27 of 44 from the free-throw line.
Centenary stretched its overall losing streak to 31 games. Its last win came last season on Feb. 6, 2010, an 80-78 decision over IPFW in Fort Wayne, Ind.
- BYU football: 10 players to buy stock in
- Gordon Hayward agrees to terms with...
- BYU football: 10 players poised for breakout...
- Graphic: What would happen if the Jazz match...
- Utah Jazz almost on the clock to match Gordon...
- Jimmer Fredette returns to Provo to talk...
- Good first impression for Utah Jazz rookie...
- Options the Jazz should consider before...
- Vai's View: Harvey Langi hopes to... 265
- BYU-Utah rated nation's 12th-best... 111
- Gordon Hayward agrees to terms with... 63
- Brad Rock: What Gordon Hayward needs to... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Robert Anae likes... 28
- 4 Utah college football players named... 28
- BYU football: Box Elder's Riley Burt... 27
- Utah Jazz almost on the clock to match... 20