SUU basketball: Thunderbirds show winless Gentleman the door
CEDAR CITY — Kyle Davis scored 17 points and Southern Utah defeated Centenary 70-49 on Thursday night, keeping the Gentlemen the lone remaining winless team in Division I this season.
The Gentlemen (0-26, 0-14 Summit) kept it close midway into the second half, trailing 42-38, but the Thunderbirds (8-16, 4-9) closed out the game with a 28-11 run.
Jeron Trotman led Centenary with 13 points and 10 rebounds, but he made just 3 of 13 attempts from the free-throw line.
Jake Nielson had 14 points and Ryan Brimley added 13 for Southern Utah, who led 31-25 at the half.
"I was very pleased with our efforts in the second half tonight,"?head coach Roger Reid said. "Jake brought great energy to the floor tonight and we played some good team defense in the second half to come away with the win."
Centenary made just 15 of 50 shots (30 percent) and also misfired on more than half of its free throws (16 of 34), while the Thunderbirds made 21 of 48 shots and were 27 of 44 from the free-throw line.
Centenary stretched its overall losing streak to 31 games. Its last win came last season on Feb. 6, 2010, an 80-78 decision over IPFW in Fort Wayne, Ind.
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles West...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 89
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 55
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 23