SUU basketball: Thunderbirds show winless Gentleman the door
CEDAR CITY — Kyle Davis scored 17 points and Southern Utah defeated Centenary 70-49 on Thursday night, keeping the Gentlemen the lone remaining winless team in Division I this season.
The Gentlemen (0-26, 0-14 Summit) kept it close midway into the second half, trailing 42-38, but the Thunderbirds (8-16, 4-9) closed out the game with a 28-11 run.
Jeron Trotman led Centenary with 13 points and 10 rebounds, but he made just 3 of 13 attempts from the free-throw line.
Jake Nielson had 14 points and Ryan Brimley added 13 for Southern Utah, who led 31-25 at the half.
"I was very pleased with our efforts in the second half tonight,"?head coach Roger Reid said. "Jake brought great energy to the floor tonight and we played some good team defense in the second half to come away with the win."
Centenary made just 15 of 50 shots (30 percent) and also misfired on more than half of its free throws (16 of 34), while the Thunderbirds made 21 of 48 shots and were 27 of 44 from the free-throw line.
Centenary stretched its overall losing streak to 31 games. Its last win came last season on Feb. 6, 2010, an 80-78 decision over IPFW in Fort Wayne, Ind.
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Utes outlast weather delay en route to 26-10...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34