SUU basketball: Thunderbirds show winless Gentleman the door
CEDAR CITY — Kyle Davis scored 17 points and Southern Utah defeated Centenary 70-49 on Thursday night, keeping the Gentlemen the lone remaining winless team in Division I this season.
The Gentlemen (0-26, 0-14 Summit) kept it close midway into the second half, trailing 42-38, but the Thunderbirds (8-16, 4-9) closed out the game with a 28-11 run.
Jeron Trotman led Centenary with 13 points and 10 rebounds, but he made just 3 of 13 attempts from the free-throw line.
Jake Nielson had 14 points and Ryan Brimley added 13 for Southern Utah, who led 31-25 at the half.
"I was very pleased with our efforts in the second half tonight,"?head coach Roger Reid said. "Jake brought great energy to the floor tonight and we played some good team defense in the second half to come away with the win."
Centenary made just 15 of 50 shots (30 percent) and also misfired on more than half of its free throws (16 of 34), while the Thunderbirds made 21 of 48 shots and were 27 of 44 from the free-throw line.
Centenary stretched its overall losing streak to 31 games. Its last win came last season on Feb. 6, 2010, an 80-78 decision over IPFW in Fort Wayne, Ind.
- Hayward looking like Captain America early in...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon features BYU,...
- Ansah, Wagner or Weddle: Which local had the...
- What you may have missed: UConn fan's pleas...
- BYU's defense, among nation's leaders in...
- Gary Crowton resigns as SUU offensive...
- ESPN's Brett McMurphy: 'I actually should...
- Home hasn't been so sweet in Pac-12 play
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 56
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 44
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 38
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage... 22
- Morning links: Kyle Whittingham 'doing... 20