Reaction after the Jerry Sloan press conference
There was plenty of wide ranging reaction to Jerry Sloan in the national media, as there will be for days and weeks. We present some of the most interesting stories here.
Reaction before the press conference
"A dark day for the NBA with Jerry Sloan gone," former NBA coach and current broadcaster Jeff Van Gundy told Yahoo's Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter. "There won't be another like him."
ESPN's stats and info Twitter account posted this fact: "From Elias: Jerry Sloan has been the head coach of the Jazz since Dec. 9, '88. 40 current NBA players weren't BORN yet at that time." Sloan has been the longest tenured coach in professional sports.
"I'm stunned by it," ESPN commentator Michael Wilbon said Thursday. "I've been a complete disciple of Jerry Sloan my entire life."
Former player and TNT broadcaster Charles Barkley reacted: "I've got great admiration and respect for Coach Sloan. But...I've been disappointed in that Utah team. Maybe there's just a disconnect between old-school and new-school."
"Sloan's relationship with point guard Deron Williams had grown progressively worse over the course of the season, league sources said, and the coach had tired of dealing with the team's best player," Wojnarowski reported on Yahoo.com.
Other Twitter responses came quickly, as "Jerry Sloan" became the highest trending topic on the social media site Thursday afternoon.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25