Reaction after the Jerry Sloan press conference
There was plenty of wide ranging reaction to Jerry Sloan in the national media, as there will be for days and weeks. We present some of the most interesting stories here.
Reaction before the press conference
"A dark day for the NBA with Jerry Sloan gone," former NBA coach and current broadcaster Jeff Van Gundy told Yahoo's Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter. "There won't be another like him."
ESPN's stats and info Twitter account posted this fact: "From Elias: Jerry Sloan has been the head coach of the Jazz since Dec. 9, '88. 40 current NBA players weren't BORN yet at that time." Sloan has been the longest tenured coach in professional sports.
"I'm stunned by it," ESPN commentator Michael Wilbon said Thursday. "I've been a complete disciple of Jerry Sloan my entire life."
Former player and TNT broadcaster Charles Barkley reacted: "I've got great admiration and respect for Coach Sloan. But...I've been disappointed in that Utah team. Maybe there's just a disconnect between old-school and new-school."
"Sloan's relationship with point guard Deron Williams had grown progressively worse over the course of the season, league sources said, and the coach had tired of dealing with the team's best player," Wojnarowski reported on Yahoo.com.
Other Twitter responses came quickly, as "Jerry Sloan" became the highest trending topic on the social media site Thursday afternoon.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 141
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 32
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 18
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 17
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16