Liu Vakapuna, 25, first reacted: "He's just going to give up on the team?" Then said, "It would be bittersweet for me, because he's been here so long."
"It's upsetting because he's such a legend," said Lonny Garbrick, 25. "He's been on top for so long, it seems crazy to think of the team without him."
One 17-year-old in front of the Fanzz store at the Gateway in downtown Salt Lake City had a different take: "I think it's time for a change to get some new blood. I think Ty Corbin will take on the role nicely."
Chris Hooiman, 23, said, "I think they'll be better off. It's a good thing to get some new blood in there." Hooiman disagreed that Corbin was the best option, however, preferring someone entirely new to the Jazz.
Utah lawmakers were buzzing about the news, with one member of the House GOP caucus saying in disbelief, Is that true?
House Majority Leader Brad Dee, R-Ogden, said he wishes Sloan well.
I think hes an icon. Save for the Miller family, he has done more for sports in Utah than anyone I can think of, Dee said, describing Sloans style as disciplinary of the first caliber, and I like that in a coach. If you played for the Jazz, you toed the line.
Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker said in a prepared statement that Sloan is "a treasure not only to all of us in Salt Lake City, but to fans throughout the entire basketball community. His skill, determination and boundless work ethic are legendary. We have been lucky to witness Coach Sloans work on and off the court. We wish him the very best and thank him for his contribution to Utahs Capital City."
Contributing: Layton Shumway
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Twitter: DJJazzyJody
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 45
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 15
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 9
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 7