Ravell Call, Deseret News archives
For the first time in his brief but distinguished political career, Rep. Jason Chaffetz served as the Speaker pro tempore in the U.S. House of Representatives on Thursday.
The designation of "Speaker pro tempore" is a temporary responsibility regularly delegated by the Speaker of the House (in this case Rep. John Boehner, R-Oh.) allowing another Representative to preside over the House in the Speaker's absence.
"Going to be the Speaker pro tempore this morning starting at 8:00am MST," Chaffetz announced early Thursday morning via his Twitter account. "A first for me. An honor."
The House's official daily summary for Feb. 10 recorded Chaffetz's Speaker pro tempore status as well.
Wikipedia notes, "During important debates, the Speaker pro tempore is ordinarily a senior member of the majority party who may be chosen for their skill in presiding. At other times, more junior members may be assigned to preside to give them experience with the rules and procedures of the House."
It's clear that this instance of Chaffetz, a second-term congressman from Utah County, filling in as Speaker pro tempore is more an instance of the latter than the former. However, some people may interpret Thursday's development as a sign that Chaffetz is on the fast track to a leadership position in the House if he decides to forego a run for the U.S. Senate in 2012.
e-mail: email@example.com twitter: @askargo
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 87
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 29
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 16