BYU basketball notebook: Cougs' Stephen Rogers makes AFA his neighborhood
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — During flashes in the first half of Wednesday night's BYU-Air Force game, Clune Arena turned into Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.
That's because Cougar sophomore Stephen Rogers knocked down three 3-pointers in nine minutes to help give No. 7 BYU a big surge in the first half.
The Cougars went on to register a 90-52 rout of the Falcons.
Rogers hit all of his first-half 3s during a 16-0 run that put the Cougars up 31-12.
"Those 3s he hit gave us some separation in the first half," said BYU coach Dave Rose.
But Rogers, who finished with 11 points, wasn't the only one to contribute off the bench for the shorthanded Cougars.
With starting guard Kyle Collinsworth out due to a concussion, Charles Abouo started in his place and scored seven. Reserve center James Anderson was out with a shoulder injury, but Logan Magnusson, Nick Martineau and Brock Zylstra helped the cause.
"Everybody off the bench played great again," said guard Jimmer Fredette. "We've been having great bench play for a long time now. Hopefully that will continue. That's going to happen during the season. Guys are going to go down and guys are going to have to step up and play. We're still going to have to win games. That's what happened tonight. I think they'll continue to do that."
REPRESENTING: A relatively large contingent of BYU fans were among the crowd Wednesday night, which marked the first sellout at Clune Arena since November, 2009.
"There were a lot of fans in the stands," said Fredette. "I'd say about half of them were ours."
NOTABLE: BYU'S Noah Hartsock recorded the 100th block of his career in the first half. ... Air Force is now 0-29 all-time against teams ranked in the top 10.
- High school football: Top 25 preseason rankings
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- Some fringe Jazz players opened eyes in Vegas
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to expand,...
- BYU football: Alani Fua may be next Cougar...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Former BYU defensive lineman Eathyn...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 167
- Report: Former BYU guard Jimmer... 73
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 72
- BYU's Jamaal Williams, Utah State's Joe... 58
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 35
- Brad Rock: Decades later, equality... 30
- Watch list roundup: 22 local players... 26