BYU basketball notebook: Cougs' Stephen Rogers makes AFA his neighborhood
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — During flashes in the first half of Wednesday night's BYU-Air Force game, Clune Arena turned into Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.
That's because Cougar sophomore Stephen Rogers knocked down three 3-pointers in nine minutes to help give No. 7 BYU a big surge in the first half.
The Cougars went on to register a 90-52 rout of the Falcons.
Rogers hit all of his first-half 3s during a 16-0 run that put the Cougars up 31-12.
"Those 3s he hit gave us some separation in the first half," said BYU coach Dave Rose.
But Rogers, who finished with 11 points, wasn't the only one to contribute off the bench for the shorthanded Cougars.
With starting guard Kyle Collinsworth out due to a concussion, Charles Abouo started in his place and scored seven. Reserve center James Anderson was out with a shoulder injury, but Logan Magnusson, Nick Martineau and Brock Zylstra helped the cause.
"Everybody off the bench played great again," said guard Jimmer Fredette. "We've been having great bench play for a long time now. Hopefully that will continue. That's going to happen during the season. Guys are going to go down and guys are going to have to step up and play. We're still going to have to win games. That's what happened tonight. I think they'll continue to do that."
REPRESENTING: A relatively large contingent of BYU fans were among the crowd Wednesday night, which marked the first sellout at Clune Arena since November, 2009.
"There were a lot of fans in the stands," said Fredette. "I'd say about half of them were ours."
NOTABLE: BYU'S Noah Hartsock recorded the 100th block of his career in the first half. ... Air Force is now 0-29 all-time against teams ranked in the top 10.
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- BYU vs. Virginia primer
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 105
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 70
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 49
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 44