BYU basketball: Hot Cougars scorch nets, Falcons
Jimmer Fredette, Cougars tie 3-ball record in win over Air Force
"In the second half, our zone was as active as it's been in a long time," Rose said. "This is one of the best 40-minute games we've had in league (play). It's nice to have it come on the road, at a difficult place, against a team that's playing well. But the key tonight was defense. We got a lot of energy defensively from hitting a lot of shots offensively."
"In the second half, we just made a lot of shots," Fredette said. "We just made everything. We played good defense. (Air Force) didn't score much in the second half. The zone bothered them a little bit. We were getting rebounds, getting out in transition, finding the open guy and making shots."
At times, Clune Arena sounded like a miniature Marriott Center, thanks to the large contingent of BYU fans in attendance.
The Falcons are now 0-29 all-time against teams ranked in the top 10.
In the first half, BYU went on a 16-0 run that broke open a 15-12 game and gave the Cougars a commanding 31-12 lead with eight minutes remaining. However, Air Force responded by scoring 11 straight points to keep the Falcons in the game. At halftime, BYU led, 36-25.
But the Cougars turned the game into a rout again in a hurry, outscoring Air Force 14-2 to start the second half to build a 23-point lead, 50-27.
BYU added to its lead, going up by as many as 40.
Sophomore Stephen Rogers came off the bench to score nine first-half points on three 3-pointers. He finished with 11 points.
The Cougars host arch-rival Utah on Saturday.
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of 3-pointers,...
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- David Stockton, son of John, saves the day...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- High school boys basketball: Underdog...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- Dick Harmon: Kyle Collinsworth's career game...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 83
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 67
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 57
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 43
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC... 28
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26