The situation is far different in Marquette, the peninsula's largest city. V.I.O., the helmet camera company, sells, markets and distributes its products online to customers in dozens of countries from its downtown office. Its website, operated by a local company, features videos made by an extreme snowmobiler streaking down mountain slopes and troops in a firefight with the Taliban in Afghanistan.
"People are quite shocked to learn we're operating from the U.P., especially if they have any familiarity with the area," sales associate Patrick Myron said. "This is where we want to be, this is where we want to raise our families. Without reliable Internet, we couldn't do it."
The web also is a lifeline for Getz's Clothiers down the street. Founded in the 1880s, the retailer's shelves are packed with clothes for outdoor work and play — coats, boots, jeans, jogging suits. The venerable store went online in 1997, and now generates two-thirds of its sales from the Internet. Its online staffers are Northern Michigan University graduates.
"People see us online and it helps get them through the door," manager Dennis Mingay said.
Some of the area's web-based workers are telecommuters whose companies are based in other states.
"My co-workers look longingly at what I do and wish they could work from home," said Jim Argeropoulos of Marquette, an engineer for a Wisconsin educational software company.
Stu Bradley, a retired Air Force colonel once stationed at a now-defunct base near Marquette, returned to the area after retiring and later served as the city's mayor. Nowadays he's among the founders of a website where small vendors from across the peninsula advertise wares ranging from knives to jewelry to maple syrup.
"We're really an example of what the president is talking about," Bradley said. "We wouldn't be in existence if it wasn't for the web."
Getz's Clothiers: http://www.getzs.com
V.I.O. Inc.: http://www.vio-pov.com
Northern Michigan University: http://www.nmu.edu
Marquette Backcountry Ski: http://www.marquette-backcountry.com
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters in...
- Grand jury won't indict Ferguson cop in shooting
- Ferguson businesses torched in overnight...
- In New Zealand, feud over fate of 1902 corpse...
- Why Salt Lake City is one of the best cities...
- At least 17 killed in Egypt by building collapse
- Under pressure, Hagel steps down as Pentagon...
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage vow not...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 66
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 61
- Obama: Americans want 'new car smell'... 29
- Grand jury won't indict Ferguson cop in... 28
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal... 18
- Winners and losers under Obama's... 18
- Under pressure, Hagel steps down as... 15
- Boehner: 'We will not stand idle' on... 14