BYU basketball: Alexis Kaufusi diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma
PROVO — BYU sophomore forward Alexis Kaufusi has been diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, and will not compete for the women's basketball team the remainder of the season.
She's played in a total of 20 games this year averaging 4.9 points and 2.8 rebounds. Kaufusi is undergoing additional testing to determine the best course of treatment.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with Alexis and her family at this time," said head coach Jeff Judkins. "We wish her a quick recovery and want her to know that she has our love and support."
Hodgkin's Lymphoma is a cancer of the lymphatic system, which is part of the immune system. Advances in diagnosis and treatment of Hodgkin's Lymphoma have helped to make this form of cancer highly treatable, with the potential for full recovery.
The family wishes to express their appreciation for all the support, well wishes and prayers during this time.
As a freshman in 2009-10, Kaufusi played in all 33 games averaging 16 minutes of playing time. She ranked first on the team in field goal percentage, recorded 10 double figure scoring games and posted two double-doubles.
For more information about Hodgkin's Lymphoma, please log onto: www.mayoclinic.com/health/hodgkins-disease/DS00186
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of NFL...
- 2016 NFL draft: Southern Utah's Miles...
- Hollis: Past Jazz players vs. the current...
- Niumatalolo and Navy make another trip to the...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 93
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 49
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 26
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 23
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 20
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 18
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 14
- Guest commentary: BYU football and... 13