BYU basketball: Alexis Kaufusi diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma
PROVO — BYU sophomore forward Alexis Kaufusi has been diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, and will not compete for the women's basketball team the remainder of the season.
She's played in a total of 20 games this year averaging 4.9 points and 2.8 rebounds. Kaufusi is undergoing additional testing to determine the best course of treatment.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with Alexis and her family at this time," said head coach Jeff Judkins. "We wish her a quick recovery and want her to know that she has our love and support."
Hodgkin's Lymphoma is a cancer of the lymphatic system, which is part of the immune system. Advances in diagnosis and treatment of Hodgkin's Lymphoma have helped to make this form of cancer highly treatable, with the potential for full recovery.
The family wishes to express their appreciation for all the support, well wishes and prayers during this time.
As a freshman in 2009-10, Kaufusi played in all 33 games averaging 16 minutes of playing time. She ranked first on the team in field goal percentage, recorded 10 double figure scoring games and posted two double-doubles.
For more information about Hodgkin's Lymphoma, please log onto: www.mayoclinic.com/health/hodgkins-disease/DS00186
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Davis High named top girls soccer team in the...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 54
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 47
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 39
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35