Valentine's Day chocolate recipes for your sweetheart to love
Delicious confections are perfectly suited to be shared with those you love
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
5 tablespoons cocoa
8 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Line 2–3 cookie sheets with parchment; set aside.
Combine the sugar, powdered sugar and cocoa. Sift.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar on high just until stiff, but not dry, peaks form. While still beating, gradually add the cocoa-sugar mixture, a few tablespoons at a time. Beat until the mixture is blended and the whites are firm and shiny.
For the next step, you have a few options, depending on how fancy you want to get.
If you have a pastry bag and a star tip, pipe pretty rosettes onto the parchment.
Or, for most of us, fill a zip-style bag with the meringue, cut a corner off the bag, and pipe chocolate kisses with a pretty peaked top.
Or use spoons to drop the mixture onto the parchment and form it into kiss shapes with a peak at the top.
Allow the kisses to rest for about 10 minutes.
During that time, heat the oven to 220 degrees.
Put the kisses into the oven for about 90 minutes.
The point here is not to actually bake them, but to dry them out. They shouldn't change color in the process. After 90 minutes, turn the oven off, leave the meringues in the oven and let the oven cool completely. When the oven and the meringues are cool, take them out, gently remove them from the parchment with a spatula. They'll be fragile, so be careful not to break them. Store them in an airtight container. Use for garnishes, especially with ice cream, or snacking.
Makes several dozen, depending on size.
— Annette Lyon,
- A beleaguered family — 12 in 4...
- Li-Fraumeni syndrome forces the Thompson...
- The 20 best family-friendly movies of 2014
- About Utah: He un-retired and found a world...
- Most kids no longer live in 'traditional'...
- Rosie is more than just a dog to a Spanish...
- Top Utah stories of 2014
- Effort underway to buy house for widow
- The Clean Cut: How does a homeless man... 8
- Most kids no longer live in... 8
- Should toy marketing be gender neutral? 5
- A beleaguered family — 12 in 4... 3
- Is ‘The Battle of the Five... 2
- Chris Hicks: More than ever, 2014 was a... 1
- These simple changes can make your... 1
- Effort underway to buy house for widow 1