Valentine's Day chocolate recipes for your sweetheart to love
Delicious confections are perfectly suited to be shared with those you love
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
5 tablespoons cocoa
8 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Line 2–3 cookie sheets with parchment; set aside.
Combine the sugar, powdered sugar and cocoa. Sift.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar on high just until stiff, but not dry, peaks form. While still beating, gradually add the cocoa-sugar mixture, a few tablespoons at a time. Beat until the mixture is blended and the whites are firm and shiny.
For the next step, you have a few options, depending on how fancy you want to get.
If you have a pastry bag and a star tip, pipe pretty rosettes onto the parchment.
Or, for most of us, fill a zip-style bag with the meringue, cut a corner off the bag, and pipe chocolate kisses with a pretty peaked top.
Or use spoons to drop the mixture onto the parchment and form it into kiss shapes with a peak at the top.
Allow the kisses to rest for about 10 minutes.
During that time, heat the oven to 220 degrees.
Put the kisses into the oven for about 90 minutes.
The point here is not to actually bake them, but to dry them out. They shouldn't change color in the process. After 90 minutes, turn the oven off, leave the meringues in the oven and let the oven cool completely. When the oven and the meringues are cool, take them out, gently remove them from the parchment with a spatula. They'll be fragile, so be careful not to break them. Store them in an airtight container. Use for garnishes, especially with ice cream, or snacking.
Makes several dozen, depending on size.
— Annette Lyon,
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- Actor Paul Walker dies in car crash; was...
- Daughter shares 5 lessons she hopes her...
- Utah Jazz players, dancers, Bear visit...
- Holiday gift guide: Unusual, beautiful and...
- 2013 day-by-day holiday TV guide
- 'A Christmas Story' fans encounter BB gun,...
- 'Little Bulldog' will take a break; the... 18
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 17
- Couple money woes: When one partner is... 5
- Alpine woman is a dessert contest,... 5
- Frugal millennials leading way in... 5
- Many children cannot run as fast as... 5
- Tips for living: One woman's journey to... 5
- Xbox enforces user policy, suspends... 4