The Ukrainian was unleashed from the bench, and he unleashed one of the top offensive outputs of his four-year career. Fesenko, who averages 2.2 points, powered in a season-high 11 points.
Not only did he spark Utah by nearly matching his career-high of a dozen points — set back on Dec. 27, 2008 — but Fesenko also gave Utah some needed defensive grit.
Fesenko, who missed 3 of 4 from the foul line, also grabbed seven rebounds and notched one big compliment from a coach who isn't shy of being critical of his antics.
"I think that's one of his better games," Sloan said. "He played bigger. Sometimes he plays like he's 6-1, and he's 7-feet tall."
Sloan added that he prefers "when (Fes) starts taking up space and goes to the basket and tries to get to the free-throw line. The biggest thing is dunking it first and then get the free throws."
Sloan also praised sparkplug playmaker Earl Watson, whose coast-to-coast layup with eight minutes remaining tied the game at 91-all after Utah had fallen behind 82-72.
Rookie DeMarcus Cousins led the Kings with 25 points and 14 rebounds, but he also had that critical turnover and fouled Kirilenko in the waning seconds.
Tyreke Evans had 21 points for a 12-36 Sacramento team that gave 31-22 Utah all it could handle.
"People don't realize — they mark it down as a victory and then if you don't win, you're a bunch of bums," Sloan said. "But these are hard games to play, they always have been."
The Jazz have another tough one Wednesday when the Chicago Bulls come to town and bring former Utah players Carlos Boozer, Kyle Korver and Ronnie Brewer along with their surging squad.
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they balance...
- Deseret News previews of all 103 varsity...
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should hear...
- BYU offensive line coming together in time...
- Parry's power guide to Utah high school...
- Felt's Facts, Week 1: Where does Duchesne's...
- Brad Rock: Jerry Sloan praises ref who may...
- Final preseason breakdown of BYU, Utah and...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 146
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 110
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 100
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 76
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 73
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 46
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should... 41
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of... 37