SALT LAKE CITY — With the premiere of a satirical Broadway musical called "The Book of Mormon" scheduled for next month and in response to news media requests, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released a brief statement Monday afternoon.
"The production may attempt to entertain audiences for an evening, but the Book of Mormon as a volume of scripture will change people's lives forever by bringing them closer to Christ," read the LDS Church's statement.
The production was written by "South Park" co-creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone along with Broadway composer/lyricist Robert Lopez. According to the New York Post, the musical follows two young Mormon missionaries sent to preach the gospel in a dangerous region of Uganda.
It is scheduled to open March 24, following previews that begin Feb. 24.
Stemming from issues in the wake of several seasons of the HBO series "Big Love," the 2009 post acknowledged that, like other large faith groups, the LDS Church recognizes that it and its members will receive all sorts of media attention — some depictions accurate, some false or stereotypical, some in bad taste.
The church said it does not as an institution call for boycotts, since boycotts increase media and audience attention. LDS leaders instead encourage members to "conduct themselves with dignity and thoughtfulness" in times of public expression.
"The Publicity Dilemma" also cites several past examples of what it called "extreme misrepresentations in the media" and how they appeal only to narrow audiences and have little adverse affect on the church.
One of the examples mentions a previous LDS-themed production by Parker and Stone.
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Man arrested in connection with baby's death
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Tired teen plowed into new car lot, Vernal...
- Utah’s Great Gallery rock art younger...
- Family of drowned Weber County man hopes free...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 52
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 48
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running... 36
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 33
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- LDS missionary critically injured in... 27
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 27
- Water levels in Great Salt Lake... 19