Monday's featured links on the media's coverage of LDS Church members, events and issues include the Los Angeles Times' take on an apostle's speech on religious freedoms, Tampabay.com visiting the popular "I'm a Mormon" campaign on YouTube and mormon.org and NPR including the LDS Church's anti-porn stance as churches tackle what it calls "an X-rated secret."
The Los Angeles Times covered Elder Dallin H. Oaks' speech Friday at California's Chapman University law school and interviewed him as well for this report on the threats on the First Amendment's right to freedom of religious.
"It is easy to believe to believe that there is an informal conspiracy of correctness to scrub out references to God and influence of religion in the founding and preservation of our nation," said Elder Oaks, a member of the LDS Church's Quorum of Twelve Apostles.
The Times also included countering comments from leaders of Freedom From Religion Foundation and National Center for Lesbian Rights.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was among churches featured in National Public Radio's weekend report "Religious Groups Tackle an X-rated Secret," here, as several hundred church's championed Sunday not as "Super Bowl Sunday" but as a "National Porn Sunday" in focusing on the perils of pornography.
The LDS segment quotes Dr. Michael Gardner, a therapist with LDS Family Services' pornography addiction program and offers a link to the church's new anti-porn web site here.
Tampabay.com — web site of the St. Petersburg, Fla., Times — takes a lengthy look here at the LDS Church and its recent successes with "I'm a Mormon" member-profiles videos on YouTube and at mormon.org.
Reporters Sarah Whitman and Stephanie Hayes not only highlight the filming of Bruce Summerhays, the former PGA and Senior Tour golfer now serving as a mission president in Florida, but some of the local LDS members profiled as well.
And KHQA-TV in Quincy, Ill., filed this video and text report on the recent re-enactment of the 1846 Mormon Exodus from Nauvoo.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Ex-social worker to plead guilty to sex with...
- Long-awaited Jeremy Johnson fraud trial kicks...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 55
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 36
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 12