Monday's featured links on the media's coverage of LDS Church members, events and issues include the Los Angeles Times' take on an apostle's speech on religious freedoms, Tampabay.com visiting the popular "I'm a Mormon" campaign on YouTube and mormon.org and NPR including the LDS Church's anti-porn stance as churches tackle what it calls "an X-rated secret."
The Los Angeles Times covered Elder Dallin H. Oaks' speech Friday at California's Chapman University law school and interviewed him as well for this report on the threats on the First Amendment's right to freedom of religious.
"It is easy to believe to believe that there is an informal conspiracy of correctness to scrub out references to God and influence of religion in the founding and preservation of our nation," said Elder Oaks, a member of the LDS Church's Quorum of Twelve Apostles.
The Times also included countering comments from leaders of Freedom From Religion Foundation and National Center for Lesbian Rights.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was among churches featured in National Public Radio's weekend report "Religious Groups Tackle an X-rated Secret," here, as several hundred church's championed Sunday not as "Super Bowl Sunday" but as a "National Porn Sunday" in focusing on the perils of pornography.
The LDS segment quotes Dr. Michael Gardner, a therapist with LDS Family Services' pornography addiction program and offers a link to the church's new anti-porn web site here.
Tampabay.com — web site of the St. Petersburg, Fla., Times — takes a lengthy look here at the LDS Church and its recent successes with "I'm a Mormon" member-profiles videos on YouTube and at mormon.org.
Reporters Sarah Whitman and Stephanie Hayes not only highlight the filming of Bruce Summerhays, the former PGA and Senior Tour golfer now serving as a mission president in Florida, but some of the local LDS members profiled as well.
And KHQA-TV in Quincy, Ill., filed this video and text report on the recent re-enactment of the 1846 Mormon Exodus from Nauvoo.
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod from...
- Warrants issued for 3 suspects in beating...
- Father vows to keep looking for Susan Cox Powell
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- 'Mantiques' could be a ticket to more cash
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 42
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- S.L. draws up airport plans 30
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 23
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 20
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 19
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 14