President Ronald Reagan's connections with Utah were surprisingly deep and meaningful. While U.S. presidents dating back to Ulysses S. Grant visited Utah and met with leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, none came to Utah more than Reagan.
The Deseret News' Michael De Groote and Paul Edwards recently sat down with eight Utahns who knew Reagan well, from his former assistant secretary of state to the man who kept his schedule to the wife of his solicitor general. Their conversation revealed a man who continues to wield influence even after his death.
Embedded here are several video clips from that conversation with Gov. Norman Bangerter, former governor of Utah; Lt. Gov. John Harmer, Reagan's lieutenant governor in California; Sen. Jake Garn, former U.S. Senator from Utah; Rep. Jim Hansen, former U.S. Congressman from Utah; Dick Richards, Republican National Chairman under Reagan; Ambassador Greg Newell, assistant secretary of state and ambassador to Sweden under Reagan; Janet Lee Chamberlain, wife of the late Rex E. Lee, who was Solicitor General under Reagan and is mother of Utah Sen. Mike Lee; Ronald Fox, White House Advanceman from Nixon to George Bush; and Paul Edwards, editorial page editor of the Deseret News.
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Deseret News Roundtable part 1
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Deseret News Roundtable part 2
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Deseret News Roundtable part 3
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Deseret News Roundtable part 4
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Deseret News Roundtable part 5
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Deseret News Roundtable part 6
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Lt. Gov. John Harmer
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Sen. Jake Garn
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Janet Lee Chamberlain
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley detective...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Fatal Draper house fire was intentionally...
- Fired West Valley officer's defense team goes...
- Mitt Romney talks pioneers, family tradition...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 25
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 22
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 16
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12
- Mitt Romney talks pioneers, family... 11