President Ronald Reagan's connections with Utah were surprisingly deep and meaningful. While U.S. presidents dating back to Ulysses S. Grant visited Utah and met with leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, none came to Utah more than Reagan.
The Deseret News' Michael De Groote and Paul Edwards recently sat down with eight Utahns who knew Reagan well, from his former assistant secretary of state to the man who kept his schedule to the wife of his solicitor general. Their conversation revealed a man who continues to wield influence even after his death.
Embedded here are several video clips from that conversation with Gov. Norman Bangerter, former governor of Utah; Lt. Gov. John Harmer, Reagan's lieutenant governor in California; Sen. Jake Garn, former U.S. Senator from Utah; Rep. Jim Hansen, former U.S. Congressman from Utah; Dick Richards, Republican National Chairman under Reagan; Ambassador Greg Newell, assistant secretary of state and ambassador to Sweden under Reagan; Janet Lee Chamberlain, wife of the late Rex E. Lee, who was Solicitor General under Reagan and is mother of Utah Sen. Mike Lee; Ronald Fox, White House Advanceman from Nixon to George Bush; and Paul Edwards, editorial page editor of the Deseret News.
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Deseret News Roundtable part 1
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Deseret News Roundtable part 2
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Deseret News Roundtable part 3
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Deseret News Roundtable part 4
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Deseret News Roundtable part 5
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Deseret News Roundtable part 6
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Lt. Gov. John Harmer
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Sen. Jake Garn
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Janet Lee Chamberlain
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes 'in...
- Millcreek man faces child abuse homicide...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to meet...
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- About Utah: Want a ride to the past? Matt...
- New strategies eliminate long waitlist for...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 52
- Dog accused of biting child ordered to... 33
- Award recipient's affiliation draws ire... 29
- GOP primary in governor's race now... 24
- Twice-deported man arrested in Salt... 14
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries 13
- Provo transit project set to begin,... 13
- Chaffetz attorney calls FEC complaint... 12