President Ronald Reagan's connections with Utah were surprisingly deep and meaningful. While U.S. presidents dating back to Ulysses S. Grant visited Utah and met with leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, none came to Utah more than Reagan.
The Deseret News' Michael De Groote and Paul Edwards recently sat down with eight Utahns who knew Reagan well, from his former assistant secretary of state to the man who kept his schedule to the wife of his solicitor general. Their conversation revealed a man who continues to wield influence even after his death.
Embedded here are several video clips from that conversation with Gov. Norman Bangerter, former governor of Utah; Lt. Gov. John Harmer, Reagan's lieutenant governor in California; Sen. Jake Garn, former U.S. Senator from Utah; Rep. Jim Hansen, former U.S. Congressman from Utah; Dick Richards, Republican National Chairman under Reagan; Ambassador Greg Newell, assistant secretary of state and ambassador to Sweden under Reagan; Janet Lee Chamberlain, wife of the late Rex E. Lee, who was Solicitor General under Reagan and is mother of Utah Sen. Mike Lee; Ronald Fox, White House Advanceman from Nixon to George Bush; and Paul Edwards, editorial page editor of the Deseret News.
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Deseret News Roundtable part 1
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Deseret News Roundtable part 2
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Deseret News Roundtable part 3
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Deseret News Roundtable part 4
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Deseret News Roundtable part 5
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Deseret News Roundtable part 6
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Lt. Gov. John Harmer
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Sen. Jake Garn
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Janet Lee Chamberlain
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over their...
- LDS position on gay, religious rights may...
- Streamlined FanX event is a win for Salt Lake...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Logan woman paralyzed from the waist down to...
- Jackie Biskupski kicks off campaign for Salt...
- Hundreds of Utahns in 4 cities rally for...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over... 170
- Romney decision not to run again... 48
- LDS position on gay, religious rights... 46
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Business community supports tax... 22
- Rep. Chris Stewart says he's working on... 19
- Jury exonerates Marc Jenson in fraud,... 18
- Man accused in BYU gropings accepts... 17