President Ronald Reagan's connections with Utah were surprisingly deep and meaningful. While U.S. presidents dating back to Ulysses S. Grant visited Utah and met with leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, none came to Utah more than Reagan.
The Deseret News' Michael De Groote and Paul Edwards recently sat down with eight Utahns who knew Reagan well, from his former assistant secretary of state to the man who kept his schedule to the wife of his solicitor general. Their conversation revealed a man who continues to wield influence even after his death.
Embedded here are several video clips from that conversation with Gov. Norman Bangerter, former governor of Utah; Lt. Gov. John Harmer, Reagan's lieutenant governor in California; Sen. Jake Garn, former U.S. Senator from Utah; Rep. Jim Hansen, former U.S. Congressman from Utah; Dick Richards, Republican National Chairman under Reagan; Ambassador Greg Newell, assistant secretary of state and ambassador to Sweden under Reagan; Janet Lee Chamberlain, wife of the late Rex E. Lee, who was Solicitor General under Reagan and is mother of Utah Sen. Mike Lee; Ronald Fox, White House Advanceman from Nixon to George Bush; and Paul Edwards, editorial page editor of the Deseret News.
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Deseret News Roundtable part 1
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Deseret News Roundtable part 2
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Deseret News Roundtable part 3
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Deseret News Roundtable part 4
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Deseret News Roundtable part 5
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Deseret News Roundtable part 6
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Lt. Gov. John Harmer
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Sen. Jake Garn
Remembering Ronald Reagan: Janet Lee Chamberlain
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 39
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 14
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah... 13