DES MOINES, Iowa — Curtis Stinson registered his second triple-double in the last three games and reserve Michael Haynes scored 25 points as the Iowa Energy defeated the Utah Flash 117-94 Saturday night.
Iowa bolted out to an early 8-0 lead, capped by dunks by Marqus Blakely and Chicago Bulls assignee James Johnson. Center Courtney Sims got in the act early, going 5-of-5 from the field on his way to 11 points in the first quarter.
Utah used a strong early second quarter, including a 12-4 run, to take a 38-37 lead. But Iowa immediately went on a 13-1 run, which featured two monster dunks from Blakely, to take a 50-39 lead.
Utah cut the margin to eight early in the third quarter, but would draw no closer as the Energy coasted to the 23 point victory.
Stinson's triple-double included 13 points, 16 assists and 10 rebounds. Marqus Blakely added 18 points as he made all nine of his field goal attempts. In his first game with the Energy on Jan. 28, Blakely made all 10 of his field goal attempts.
Utah was led by Ronald Dupree's 21 points effort. Ryan Thompson had 19 points off the bench. Pape Sy, on assignment from the Atlanta Hawks had five points, seven rebounds and three assists. The loss drops the Flash to 14-14 on the year.
Utah will return home on Monday to host the Rio Grande Valley Vipers.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 79
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35