This is one of the league's best seasons so far. It is getting ink and achieving the rankings and attention it deserves.
While the refurbished Pit at New Mexico is drawing an average of 14,884 fans per game, both the Marriott Center in Provo and SDSU's Viejas Arena sold out regularly in January. The Fredette Show has brought BYU's average attendance to 20,923 for league games.
The second round will have some key games starting with UNLV at BYU today, and the Rebels hosting San Diego State in the Thomas & Mack on Feb. 12. The Cougars travel to San Diego State on Feb. 26 for a huge rematch on the Aztecs' home court.
"What you do," said BYU coach Dave Rose, "is prepare and worry about the next game. All we can do is be concerned with Saturday and after that, the game Wednesday."
So, what's the biggest thing January brought the MWC? Headlines and sound bites that really count.
It won't hurt come March Madness.
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org TWITTER: Harmonwrites
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- Prognosticating, for fun, a bright BYU...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 73
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 64
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34