The Daily Beast reports that Mitt Romney's seven political action committees — one federal and six state, all bearing the name Free and Strong America — raised $6.3 million in 2010.
With the recent release of Federal Election Commission filings for the fourth quarter of 2010, we now know how much money prospective Republican presidential candidates raised last year vis-a-vis their political action committees. And despite Romney's impressive haul, his total is still less than half of what another Republican presidential hopeful raised.
Newt Gingrich netted a whopping $14.5 million last year, making Gingrich the only Republican presidential aspirant to raise more money than Mitt in 2010. But as Politico reports, that enormous figure comes with a considerable caveat for Gingrich: unlike all other would-be candidates, his political group American Solutions for Winning the Future is organized as a 527 entity and not a PAC. In normal English, Bloomberg explains how a 527 can receive donations of unlimited size but cannot make important relationship-building donations to political candidates like a PAC can.
Two interesting footnotes to Romney's PAC fundraising: New York Jets owner Woody Johnson and his mother each gave $15,000 to Romney during 2010, and (per Politico) "Romney's field-leading PACs contributed $1.2 million to candidates and committees last year."
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @askargo
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 44
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 43
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 38
- Hal Boyd: Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 32
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Report: States manage public lands for... 23