SALT LAKE CITY — Former Utah defensive end Chad Kauha'aha'a is returning to his alma mater as an assistant coach.
"Chad Kauha'aha'a was a very tough, physical football player, and he brought that mentality into the coaching profession," Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham said in making the announcement. "He has developed into a very good coach with a passion and energy for the game of football."
Kauha'aha'a, who was a second-team All-WAC defensive end as a senior in 1996, returns to Utah after college coaching stints at Weber State and Utah State.
"I'm thrilled to be back home at the University of Utah and I'm grateful to Coach Whittingham for giving me the opportunity to be part of the Utah family again," Kauha'aha'a said in a released statement. "I appreciate everything Utah State and (head coach) Gary Andersen did for me and the development of my career."
The hiring of Kauha'aha'a as defensive line coach was among several staff assignments announced by Whittingham on Thursday evening.
The Utes' other moves were made on offense. New offensive coordinator Norm Chow will coach the tight ends, while Aaron Roderick and Dave Schramm will direct the receivers and running backs, respectively.
Roderick and Schramm were co-offensive coordinators last season. Aaron Alford, who was the running backs coach in 2010, is now the program's director of high school relations.
"We took our time re-positioning the offensive staff and made sure that we got everybody into the roles we felt were best for the program," Whittttingham said. "Aaron Alford did a nice job with our running backs, and the cornerbacks before that, but as the director of high school relations, he will fill a critical role for us in our move to the Pac-12."
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 121
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 67
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 59
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 53
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 29