High school basketball: 'Inspiring' girls fare better in blowout rematch
WEST JORDAN — The home team's bleachers were packed before the game even started Thursday night.
Not a typical scene for 1A girls' basketball. But this game was different.
Christian Heritage Academy was playing West Ridge Academy for the second time. Last time they faced each other, the Crusaders won 108-3.
This time West Ridge fared better, losing 62-7.
"These girls have never played with this type of crowd and cheering before," said West Ridge Academy's executive director Ken Allen. "There are usually about 10 people at their games."
Even Shawn Bradley, a retired professional basketball player and former BYU star, was in attendance. Bradley is on West Ridge Academy's board and was the former athletic director and vice principal at the school. He worked out with the girls just after the 105-point loss to see how they were doing and said the girls' attitudes were "inspiring."
By the end of the first quarter of Thursday night's game, fans could tell this was a different game than the last one with a score of 12-3. In the Jan. 20 game, the Crusaders scored an average of over 25 points a quarter while the Eagles scored just three points in the fourth.
Christian Heritage coach Rob McGill said he told his players to mainly work on 3-pointers this game.
"It's hard when you can't play your normal game," McGill said. "But we had fun."
West Ridge coach Jamie Keefer told his girls to work on defense and trust each other, and they all joked that if they got more than three points, they would count it as a win.
"We had a different game plan," Keefer said. "The girls fought hard. I'm just glad it's over."
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head coach...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 170
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 108
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 51
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 43