FOOTBALL: Head coach Scott Brumfield and his staff are pleased to announce the signing class of 2011 and highlight a few of the names that will hopefully become DSC fan-favorites on the gridiron over the next few years.
The class features 19 student-athletes - 16 who signed on February 2nd and three who declared in the early signing period.
Chris Jackson: 6-1 185 RB/DB Clark High School (Las Vegas)
* Rushed for over 1200 yards his senior season, averaging a 9.23 yards per carry average while scoring 17 touchdowns on the ground. He accounted for 20 total touchdowns on the season. Chris also led Clark in tackles with 64 tackles from his cornerback position. One of Chris's most memorable games came versus rival Bonanza High School where he rushed for 310 yards scoring five rushing touchdowns, and added a sixth touchdown on an 85-yard kickoff return.
* Brumfield on Jackson: "We are very excited to sign a player of Chris's caliber. We first noticed Chris at our football camp in the summer, where we felt he was the elite player. His combination of speed, strength and quickness makes him a very special talent. Chris has all of the potential to be a GREAT player here at Dixie."
Stefan Cantwell: 6-0 210 QB Bingham High School.
* One of the most decorated players in the state of Utah. Lead his nationally ranked team to an undefeated season, and claimed the 5A state championship. Stefan was a consensus 1st-Team all state quarterback and was named the Deseret News 5A MVP. He was also voted the Region 3 MVP. Stefan completed over 60 percent of his passes for 2160 yards, and threw 30 touchdowns on the year. He also rushed for 506 yards and eight touchdowns.
* Brumfield on Cantwell: "Stefan comes to Dixie as one of the most decorated high school athletes in recent history. He is a tremendous competitor and leader on and off the field. We are very fortunate to have Stefan as a member of our 2011 signing class, and look for big things from him"
Wil Bangerter: 6-1 200 LB Pineview High School.
* Salt Lake Tribune and Deseret News 1st-Team All State LB. Wil recorded over 100 tackles his senior season with five sacks and three interceptions. He is the younger brother of Red Storm football player Adam Bangerter, who is currently serving an LDS mission.
* Brumfield on Bangerter: "Anytime we have the opportunity to sign one of the top local players, it is very big for our program. Wil has amazing determination and a champion attitude that he will bring to our program."
Daniel Moffet: 6-3 210 WR/S Davis High School.
* Brumfield on Moffet: "We have watched Daniel for the last two years and felt like he was one of the top athletes in the state. He is always making plays on both offense and defense. He has tremendous size and speed for his position. We definitely feel that Daniel will be a big impact player for us in the future."
Fihi Kaufusi: 6-3 245 DL Highland High School.
* Defensive end that helped lead Highland High School to the 2010 4A state championship. 1st-Team All State. Cousin of former Dixie State All American D-Linemen Rich Kaufusi and Steve Kaufusi.
* Brumfield on Kaufusi: "We felt like Fihi was one of the top linemen in the state that will bring size and aggression to our defensive front."
AJ Puaga: 6-6 230 DE Westlake High School.
* Brumfield on Puaga: "If there is ever a guy that fell through the cracks, it is AJ. AJ is a very aggressive D-lineman that posses the frame, work ethic and desire to be a major force in the future. AJ will be a name that Dixie fans will come to know on a first hand basis."
Colby Earl: 6-1 185 DB Highland High School.
- Dick Harmon: The night the rim got wide as a...
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to lead...
- 40-foot jumper by Lexi Rydalch secures BYU's...
- Utah Jazz: Analyzing 3 trade possibilities as...
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants...
- BYU women's basketball: Dynamic trio leading...
- Morning links: Hayward becomes 'gaming...
- Jazz's trio of Rising Stars reflects on...
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to... 73
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 61
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 50
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 45
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 45
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 40
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 39